How flat should I expect a heatsink to be?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I contacted RS about the heatsink and they sent a replacement part straight away. Excellent service.

Unfortunately, it's still not flat enough so I'm going to have to get it machined. I understand what you're saying about mounting the transistors direct to the heatsink. This is just the design I came up with based on the chassis requirement. Since I've already had the boards made, I'm going to stick with it this time. I'll probably go for a different arrangement next time though, with the transistors mounted directly to the heatsink.

Thanks,
James

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I had an identical problem, from a different vendor (I think heatsink usa). Apparently it is common with extrusions, but they put the effort in to make things right.

Another issue with a bow is mounting it to the chassis frame. A bow makes the heatsink shorter and the holes not perpendicular.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.