Correct way To Wire Interconnects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Years ago I bought about 25 feet of Kimber PBJ (3 leads braded), a bunch of rhodium plated RCA plugs, and made my own interconnects. I wired them with one lead to the center post and the other two leads soldered to the chassis of the plug. So with the ground leads attached at both ends I have in effect grounded all of my components together. Recently I saw a You Tube video that stated wiring interconnects as I have done can cause weird noise problems; that the ground leads should only be connected to the chassis at one end . Can someone out there give me a little guidance.

... then the shield (screen) should be connected at one end only....
I understand what you are saying, but the Kimber pjb cable is not a screened cable. It consists of three insulated wires, braided for RF rejection, with no screen.

The general way to make RCA interconnects with a three-wire braided (non-shielded) cable is for one wire to be connected to each of the positive RCA pins. Another wire is connected to the negative RCA. The third wire is soldered to one of the RCA negative terminals, but not the other - this end is not connected to anything. The third wire connected only to one RCA plug is called the "floating ground".

These cables are directional, and care should be taken when connecting them to your audio devices:

• The RCA with the two wires soldered to the -ve RCA terminal is connected to the source device.
  • The RCA with the third floating ground wire not soldered to the RCA -ve is connected to the destination device.

Cables constructed in this way often have an arrow marked on the cable or RCA case to make the source/destination plugs easy to identify when inserting. The arrow points from the source end to the destination end of the cable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.