Re-glueing pvc surround to metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a driver (12" goodmans axiom 401) in which the plastic surround has detached from the metal frame.

What would be the proper glue to use to glue it back ? It is back mounted (you can see the felt on top of the surround) so it doesn't have to be very strong I guess.

Thanks for any tip :)

Attachments

• a401surround.jpg
    a401surround.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 162
That was a good point, Kay.

For a surround that is completely detached, it would be preferable to use a slow setting adhesive which will allow the surround time to settle naturally into place.

Gentle depression of the cone by hand will help centre the surround - some play a low frequency tone through the speaker.

Tacky PVA Glue, which is an all-purpose glue suitable for metal and most plastics, is suitably slow setting

It comes under the name of Anita's Tacky Glue or Aleene's Tacky Glue.

Thankfully, 00940, your surround has only lifted at one point, but I offer the above for reference purposes.

I see that there are different products which are called 'Rubber Cement', Cal. Can you recommend a specific brand name?

Santoprene? Had to look that up, but it was what I expected. What is Santoprene™? | U.S. Plastic

Reminds me of the name 'Flexiprene' that Wharfedale used for its 'rubber' surrounds in the 70's.

And yes, we must use the likes of Tacky PVA Glue or Copydex for foam surrounds. :cool:

If it's a rubber surround, there should be no problems with rubber cement, contact cement, butyl caulk, crazy glue and many others. I thought of rubber cement because it is easily removed if something goes wrong and being back mounted means it's main purpose is to air seal.

If it's a foam surround I would think the VOC free stuff might be in order.

Flexiprene is a TPE (IIRC) whereby Santoprene is an EPDM. Santoprene wins :)

Shoe repair liquids are even better than Pattex and other traditional contact glues, this one for example:
BISON - 1388975 - COLLE MARATHON 50ML BISON: Amazon.fr: Cuisine & Maison
It remains flexible, and is extremely strong. Make sure you don't have to retouch after it is set.
It sets quickly, but not being a contact-type, you have all the time you need to adjust the position.
This one is solvent-based, but there are also water-based versions (Pattex makes one for example, but I don't have the reference handy, it's upstairs).
The water type is good, but not as strong as the solvent one

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.