Re-glueing pvc surround to metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The always "safe" adhesive is water based vinyl carpenter´s glue, known in USA as Elmer´s glue.

Solvent based rubber/neoprene/shoemaker cement is certified safe only with paper (cellulose) surrounds, destroys foam, and is unpredictable with rubber, which will always absorb some of the solvent present (typically Toluene or Xylene based) and swell, more or less.

It will not dissolve or be destroyed but may expand or contract and somewhat pull cone/vc out of alignment.

No big deal if you shimmed it, but if not, why risk it?

Water based adhesive is safe and slow, which in this case is a bonus.

Just my 2 cents.

First things first, you must remove the old glue from the frame basket or else the new glue will also fail. You can scrape or try a solvent such as the rather nasty MEK. Scraping is the preferred method.

The official loudspeaker glue used by many manufacturers is made by a company called Moyen. So although they make many products in the loudspeaker business the glue is just refered to as Moyen. You can find folks selling small tubes of it on the net.

Thanks for all the comments. Part of the difficulty is the international context: not everything is named the same everywhere, nor is available anywhere. I've ordered the copydex one, I'll see if it works out.

These surrounds definitely feel very different from a classic "rubber" surround. More smooth, less flexible, thinner too.

Juan, what you mention has already been said. I know of no interaction between 'rubber' surrounds and the products I mentioned.
Friend: Not specially answering to you but in general, and in general, I am "answering to the thread and not any specific member", all rubber products are affected (as in absorbing and swelling) by typical "neoprene adhesive" or "rubber adhesive" solvents, namely Toluene and Xylene, I even mentioned them by name, to dispel any doubts.
Do you claim Toluene and Xylene do NOT affect Rubber products?
You are in for a surprise my friend.
From: Rubber Chemical Resistance, Rubber Chemical Compatibility, Page 6 - Mykin Inc
they rate a series of rubber types (covering 99.9% of those currently used in Industry) for their resistance to solvents.
It is a *comprehensive* list, covering about *any* chemical rubber may come in contact with.
Rubber types analyzed:
Nitrile EPDM Neoprene SBR Silicone Butyl Polyacrylate Hypalon Viton Polyurethane Fluorosilicone Aflas Kalrez
Resistance degree, from excellent to terrible:
LEGEND: 1 = Satisfactory, 2 = Fair, 3 = Doubtful, 4 = Unsatisfactory
For Toluene:
Toluene 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 1 4 2 X 1
For Xylene:
Xylene 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 1 4 1 X 1
meaning they are terrible for any kind of "rubber" conceivably used in a speaker surround.
Only a couple advanced "rubbers" stand them, such as Fluorosilicone :eek:

And... Elmer's glue refers to the white PVA whereas 'carpenters glue' refers to yellow PVA.
I use the term "Elmer´s glue" out of politeness , addressing North American Forum members and using a term they are familiar with.
Even so my description was longer, maybe unnecessarily longer or redundant, just to make it more clear to members NOT in North America to which "Elmer" may mean a cartoon character instead of a glue local brand.
QK2XI56CTZBVBOO7MF5UWUP6IU.jpg

I used 11 words
water based vinyl carpenter´s glue, known in USA as Elmer´s glue
while you reduce it to two, either
carpenter´s glue
or
Elmer´s glue
, as if they were mutually exclusive.
In my answer, they are not.
Maybe I was better understood by the OP:
Part of the difficulty is the international context: not everything is named the same everywhere, nor is available anywhere.

FWIW this is what Wiki says about it (not claiming it´s the Bible by any means but certainly a popular reference site):
Polyvinyl acetate (PVA, PVAc, poly(ethenyl ethanoate): best known as wood glue, white glue, carpenter's glue, school glue, Elmer's glue in the US, or PVA glue) is an aliphatic rubbery synthetic polymer with the formula ..........
and
Polyvinyl acetate
Polyvinyl acetate (PVA), also known as "white glue" or "hobby and craft", is non-toxic and very easy to use, but hard to repair since most glues (including PVA itself) do not adhere well to hardened PVA glue. PVAs will creep under constant load. Elmer's Glue-All is an example of PVA adhesive.

As to carpenter glues in general: PVA based carpenter´s glue is *white* , it´s it´s natural colur, and dries transparentish translucid, unless it has "load", solids added from various reasons, from starch in school kid´s glue which makes it "washable" (much to Mother´s relief) to mineral loads which give it added strength and stiffness and reduce contraction.
They also improve "sandability" (if that´s a term ;) )

That there are *some* glues marketed to carpenters which are often dyed yellow for marketing purposes is not the point here.
Comparing White and Yellow Glues
who "should" know, says:
Comparing White and Yellow Glues
Differences may not correspond with color — the yellow coloring is not an active ingredient. December 2, 2006
Mind you, that is an open Forum, so you will find differing opinions, some claim there IS a difference (besides colour, that is):
Gene initially says:
From Professor Gene Wengert, Sawing and Drying forum technical advisor:
There is a big difference between white and yellow glues, and it is more than color.
then he half retracts:
Although it is dangerous to put all yellow glues into one category,
and then fully:
The color is indeed a manufactured color that has nothing to do with the adhesive's properties. I have no problem with that statement and never said otherwise.
Consense in that page was:
From contributor R:
Gene, contributor E is absolutely correct - it is just a dye that is added to the glue! Titebond and Titebond 2 have the extend version - they are white/off white. Franklin also makes an industrial product called Multibond 2000 - it is also white and it is just like TB2. It's just a dye, and "aliphatic resin" is marketing BS - both white and yellow glues are PVAs. As for the higher initial tack that yellow glues have, explain Titebond wood molding glue - it has the highest tack of the Titebond family and is a white glue! It's just a dye!

In any case, those "improved" glues, of which *some* are yellow, are basically improved by making them easier to sand (hardly a concern with a speaker surround) and somewhat more water resistant.
Same thing.

(Somewhat) related side note: here in Argentina we are USED to regular economy crises, and as the Japanese say: "what does not kill you makesn you stronger".
More than once one product or the other dissappears from the Market, maybe speculation, maybe some imported component is unavailable, so I have *manufactured* stuff which usually is just bought over the counter.

Including, (but not limited to) *adhesives*. :eek:

I have made my own *curing/polymerizing* carpenter´s glue (once it hardens it does not re dissolve, neither with steam nor with alcohol, which is the "universal" PVA solvent when dry) AND contact cement, out of yellow shoe sole rated "virgin rubber" sheets , aromatic solvents and a tacking agent.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
..................... ............"Elmer" may mean a cartoon character instead of a glue local brand..

Yeah, I guess that Fudd guy has had a longer shelf-life than the cows.

Elmer was a man-cow, Elsie The Cow's husband. Borden was doing milk-related (casein) research and products. Boring stuff. Elsie was the spokes-cow. (Several actual cows have played the part, in addition to the cute cartoon cow.)

"..in the 1940s ...98 percent of the American public recognized Elsie. At one time, she was better known than such imaginary figures as Mickey Mouse.."

Elsie mostly pitched 'food' milk (dry, homogenized, fortified, cheezes, ice cream). Elmer The Bull was invented for the Elmer Glue division. Pretty soon they introduced Glue-All, that runny white stuff, not made of milk but various poly***s.

Attachments

• 2a41cecc157a543ebb9e2942251f30e5.jpg
    2a41cecc157a543ebb9e2942251f30e5.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 70
Use acetone remove old glue best you can. Then modge podge allow to go tacky then stick together you can still wiggle it around if you need too. Then some large clothes pegs large nuts or something to hold both parts together job done.
I've used this method on God knows how many speakers works everytime. Plus it's cheap not toxic and lasts ages. Another tip once you have opened up the tub use some masking tape to seal the top of the cap to the tub and it will stop air getting in. In other words if left for a while it will solidify. Stay away from all these rubber cements highly toxic not good for your health or the environment.
Anyhow maybe helpful

When I want to remove the glue from either the Cone, or the Metal frame I use Hot Air in the range of 75 Degrees Max and it just comes off fine. There are two three manufacutrers which this doen't work but these you can count on one hand.

JBL, Beyma, just to name two, selling replacement Kids, Inexpensive ones when looked a the new Price of 10" or larger Woofer. I don't know if this is also true for USA, but sure here in Europe we can order them.

That's my 2 Cents..
Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks for the additional tips and suggestions. :)

I did it by scraping carefully most of the old glue, put copydex on both sides, let it rest 15min and then pressed it by simply laying the driver upside down (it's an inverted surround with thick felt for back mounting). It is holding fine for now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.