Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Re-glueing pvc surround to metal
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM   #21
JMFahey is online now JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

The always "safe" adhesive is water based vinyl carpenter´s glue, known in USA as Elmer´s glue.

Solvent based rubber/neoprene/shoemaker cement is certified safe only with paper (cellulose) surrounds, destroys foam, and is unpredictable with rubber, which will always absorb some of the solvent present (typically Toluene or Xylene based) and swell, more or less.

It will not dissolve or be destroyed but may expand or contract and somewhat pull cone/vc out of alignment.

No big deal if you shimmed it, but if not, why risk it?

Water based adhesive is safe and slow, which in this case is a bonus.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #22
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

The water-based version of the shoe-repair by Pattex is called "gel repair glue" or "liquid repair glue". It is not as strong as the solvent-based one, but it is still quite good compared to other water-based ones
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #23
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Juan, what you mention has already been said. I know of no interaction between 'rubber' surrounds and the products I mentioned.
And... Elmer's glue refers to the white PVA whereas 'carpenters glue' refers to yellow PVA.
Just my 2 cents friend.
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #24
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

First things first, you must remove the old glue from the frame basket or else the new glue will also fail. You can scrape or try a solvent such as the rather nasty MEK. Scraping is the preferred method.

The official loudspeaker glue used by many manufacturers is made by a company called Moyen. So although they make many products in the loudspeaker business the glue is just refered to as Moyen. You can find folks selling small tubes of it on the net.
Old Today, 02:13 PM   #25
00940 is online now 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the comments. Part of the difficulty is the international context: not everything is named the same everywhere, nor is available anywhere. I've ordered the copydex one, I'll see if it works out.

These surrounds definitely feel very different from a classic "rubber" surround. More smooth, less flexible, thinner too.

Re-glueing pvc surround to metalHide this!Advertise here!