Speaker enclosure joints vs no joints - mortar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to build a speaker enclosure out of mortar. If it comes out of the mold in one piece, I should get a seamless enclosure except for the front baffle. But does going seamless improves the sound quality, or are there too many variables, one simply can't tell?

Well it can be done-

ANDERSON SPEAKERS - High Quality Handcrafted Natural Stone Speakers

but what about resonances and speaker reflections and of course tuning .

Anybody can build a speaker cabinet not everybody can design it to compensate for internal reflections etc .

Guys with college degrees in the "art " use all sorts of sophisticated electronic test equipment after years of study and practice .

I am not saying somebody with little experience cant achieve results but not many can equal a professional design if you are looking for very high quality reproduction.

I wish you luck.

Yes - sound like experience serves key here if anything, unless one has access to a whole array of speaker drivers/cabinet design to compare the differences.

I am planning on a cabinet with mortar and in fact I also have granite. Your link is very inspiration, but of course the whole piece stone (your link) just making them hollow will be extremely expensive, not to mention the transport costs.

Egg shaped enclosures are pretty popular and they confer acoustic advantages.

The strongly curved shape has the aim of virtually eliminating both edge diffraction on the outside and strong resonant effects on the inside.

Attachments

• Munro Egg 150.jpg
    Munro Egg 150.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 126
Edge diffraction was a point made by Sony when I bought their APM 22ES flat transducers ( early version made in Germany with flat tweeter) in the 1980,s .

They are rounded at the edges --got a "Best Buy " at the time by the well known UK "golden ear " --Alvin Gold , still use them as speakers for my older PC as I have a built in Samsung blue ray disc player .

Great bargain they turned out to be Galu only £200 at the time bought in Sauchiehall street--that was when it was a street its more like a pavement now .

DON'T !! buy the later versions the tweeter was too expensive so they changed it for a cone type --- downhill move.

Edge diffraction was a point made by Sony when I bought their APM 22ES flat transducers.
I've looked at the review of the Sonys in my HiFi Choice 'The Hi-Fi Best Buy Guide' of 1985.

The listening panel were "clearly impressed" and found "little to criticise".

The mostly positive comments included: treble that was "near electrostatic", bass that was "powerful and tuneful" and a speaker which had "excellent dynamics and pleasing transparency".

In summary, the APM22ES was described as "the classic 'Best Buy' speaker".

There you go, now you should enjoy them even better than before! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.