Advice sought for best way to fit replacement banana terminals on Box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All.

I'm tidying up the speaker terminal arrangement on a pair of Interdyn Loudspeakers.

Currently they have flush circular terminals which I'll be replacing with non iron banana type terminals.

I was hoping to learn which would be the the best way to fit the new terminals.

Should I flush fit them?
This will leave them sticking out quite a bit and make shipping and storing more awkward and lead to possible damage.

Or should I cut out a section and flush glue a panel on the inside of the box, onto which the terminals could be fitted?
This will allow the terminals to be less proud by the thickness of the rear panel, but will be more involved to fit and possibly compromise the box

Any thoughts?

cheers

Cliff

Attachments

• terminal interdyn.jpg
    terminal interdyn.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 112
Unfortunately, DUG, it is not stated what material the connectors in your link are made of.

If you read Cliff's other posts, you will find he desperately wants to avoid iron and other magnetic materials.

@ Cliff. Your suggestion of a panel inside the box is fine, such a small aperture will not compromise the integrity of the enclosure.

Can you show a photo of the 'banana type terminals' you are going to use? The originals are DIN type speaker sockets.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A terminal cup would be my suggestion.

I would have said round, just larger than the hole tge DIN plug is sitting in.

Posts like DUG suggested (ie dirt cheap, low metal, plastic caps). If you are anal you could just use the cup and replace with something better.

We used hundreds of cuos that used a 2” D cutout and posts similar to those DUG posted.

But guessing at te quality of your box, probably overkill.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
When i was developing my hifi accumen bananas were the “exotica”. Spring terminals, scre terminals were standard at the time. I loved the banana only on Quad’s and NAIM’s.

They have become quite universal, can be used 5 different ways so many situations can be dealt with. They can be cheap.

SpeakOns are good but you become locked in. I don’t think i would use anything else in a PA system.

dave

I also like the versatility of banana binding posts.

I can connect bare wire, banana plugs, and spades to most female banana binding posts.

The other thing is that I might often need to switch speakers.
I currently have 15 pairs of speakers so switching around needs to be quick.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I'm now viewing peoples junk (hard waste kerb collection) through different eyes.

Previously I'd be looking for quality brands and walking past the rubbish.

Now I see spare parts.

I'll be looking to harvest binding post cups (round or square) and replacing the binding posts to maintain integrity.

$10 to $20 a pair retail for cups all adds up.

...$10 to $20 a pair retail for cups all adds up.
A quick look on ebay reveals cups with what looks like non-magnetic (gold finish) binding posts for under $6 with free postage. Down side is that we have to wait for long delivery time. It might be easier than looking at roadside collections, where I have never seen anything worthwhile for quality spare parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.