power switch desperation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Hi friends
I'm—again—struggling with details and aesthetics. This time it's the switch.
Bathing in the sea of variations @ mouser, Distrelec etc., but there's nothing I really like.
I'll probably end up with a switch without "frontend"—requiring a self-made toggle of sorts, but still haven't decided on the function: Push-button, rocker-switch, rotary?

My fantasies are:
- Oversized "long stroke" pushbutton — inexistent?
- Rockerswitch: making a part of the frontplate the switch...
- rotary: Is there a switch that triggers 90°, that could be rotated endlessly? (not back and forth, but on-off-on-off-on etc. in one direction...

Could I get some directions, parts, techniques?
many thanks!
david

You will have more options if switching low level and using a relay for the power.
microprocessor or logic circuit also gives more options - how about a proximity sensor?
3D print or fabricate your front plate & use a reed switch or microswitch.
Likewise, a microswitch operated by a cam.
Look at domestic light switches though you might also need a relay if a heavy inductive load (large trafo).
MUR39723 | White 10 A Flush, Surface Mount Rocker Light Switch, 2 Way Screwless, 1 Gang NF, 250 V ac 40mm IP55 60mm 1 | RS Components

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thank you, Russc

Now you give me ideas and I start to see why I couldn't find an end (in the supplier's jungles)
reed switch, woahaha! that's new to me!
The light switch is obviously good too! (kind a the brutalist's way to go, in a positive sense), and the relays-concept I was already aware of ( -> Mark Johnson's gizmo...) but wasn't yet ready to dive in. the beast (F4) is still a straight-forward power-amp after all...

will meditate

Household wall switches

I really like those designs

images
images

Joined 2017
Paid Member
A couple of projects which use aesthetically beautiful, but scrawny weakling switches (low voltage, low current) to turn on the deadly macho AC mains power

Project 166

PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG

I‘m already considering the use of this mysterious „H9KPXG“... :) :) :)
The real problem is that I a) already got toecutters softstart and b) that starting to look into the scrawny weakly switches would drown me in options and alternatives.
(That means: I probably will.)
Thanks already!

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
After some more surfing on the switches, accompanied by thinking about, well, it’s function, I realized that it is better to keep it discreet, if not boring. Because if it was a nifty piezo/touchless/etc. thingy, somebody for sure would like it and play around-onoffonoffonoffonoff—which I guess is not recommended...
So, scale it back, dave

Stop, Dave.... Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? - YouTube

I recently returned to the classic - toggle switches (APEM is very high quality) or the large flat 19mm (easier to press inside with big fingers) push button switch. I have gradually given up the illuminated round led push button switches - I have probably used them too much.:D and it's not good that the mains is close to the DC led power contacts on these switches - I better seperate indicator for safety reasons.

i like when the switch is on the front panel

Attachments

• DSC00338.jpg
    DSC00338.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00937.jpg
    DSC00937.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 92
Joined 2017
Paid Member
classic - toggle switches or the large flat 19mm push button switch. I have gradually given up the illuminated round led push button switches

i like when the switch is on the front panel

Nice builds, oscar!
My chassis will be a black aluminium "cube", 4U x 300. (a almost standard Modushop-classic, that is, housing a F4(less) amp)
I'm still not sure. the rockers are so cool because it's really really classic design, but it doesn't fit into my idea—it's too classic :rolleyes: while the 19mm push-button is rather ... dominant? (It fit's your front panel very well though, chrome on wood is good...)

I have the impression that the switch should be "outstanding"—not only in terms of quality, but even more so physically. The, uhm, "tactile impression" should reflect what it triggers: a rather big amp. It should somewhat go "ka-chunk" rather than a barely audible "click", but it has to be nice to the touch.

I found a completely black version, but there's also the idea of a rotary switch (90° or 45°, or even better a switch where the rotation is non-directional, horizontal is off, vertical is on, CW/CCW doesn't matter..., you turn till it clicks to switch to "on" or "off", but I've only found big switches for wall-mounted home-appliances (washing machines etc.).

And, going even further, I'll probably must create a "handle" for it, following my own aesthetic guideline...

This switch: here
That switch: here
nice datasheets with good documentation: bulgin

(I also could imagine a nice amp—for freestanding use—with a BIG (D=20, H>=30 approx.) push-button on the top/cover of it, which would give the box a tad of irony...)

Attachments

• WH27180100C.jpg
    WH27180100C.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 67
  • C7050AFBB.jpg
    C7050AFBB.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 53
I somehow don't like the plastic switches in the aluminum panel ... these 19mm also have a matte surface version, but unfortunately I don't remember where I bought them. They are also available in black.They presses very very gently and without a loud "click"
Of course, fastening to a 10mm panel can be more difficult (thread short) - you have to drill a recess on the other side ...

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC09597.jpg
    DSC09597.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 42
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Digikey products

Link

another link

Used to arm the air-to-air missiles in military fighter jets.

_

Thanks, mark!
But—I beg your pardon—what makes you think I was after a rocket-launch device? [emoji16]
I am after a sort of equilibrium... i want it to be (kind of) noble, fancy, obvious...
Y‘know...
(Just like the monster-switch on the PA-7 but different)

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I somehow don't like the plastic switches in the aluminum panel ... these 19mm also have a matte surface version, but unfortunately I don't remember where I bought them. They are also available in black.They presses very very gently and without a loud "click"
Of course, fastening to a 10mm panel can be more difficult (thread short) - you have to drill a recess on the other side ...

Thanks again osscar!
Do you know What tool I could use to drill the recess into aluminium?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.