heat management in abs enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I stuffed an old, cheap ebay dac in an ABS Hammond enclosure and noticed the area above the LM7805 heatsink became rather warm.

With a non-contact thermometer it reached 40C while a thermocouple on the heatsink reached 67C after 45 minutes and stayed there. With the lid off, the heatsink dropped to 60C so it doesn't seem like the PSU is suffering due to lack of ventilation.

There's about 15mm between the top of the heatsink and the lid.

Is this too hot for the ABS? It looks like the molding temp of ABS is 40-80C so I'm wondering if the ABS might begin to deform.

Attachments

• IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    920.3 KB · Views: 119
ABS ( plastic ) is formed by injection molding which means high hydraulic pressure and heat ( I have repaired the machines ) .

Once formed the chemical composition is fixed and second heating will cause burning and burning will make it brittle .

If you are that worried about a cheap casing increase the size of the LM708 heatsink.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.