Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Copper corrosion protection
Copper corrosion protection
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2020, 05:20 AM   #11
Just A Person is offline Just A Person  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan2 View Post
Corrosion protection in engineering is one thing but in audio applications zero contact ohmage is important so no films of any sort
My understanding of the films is that they are very thin. I very much doubt that they would impair electrical conductivity more than copper oxides that form if the copper isn't protected by a triazole (or similar) film.

However, if anyone has hard data on that subject that's always best. I remember reading about the thermal conductivity of the oxides and it was very poor.
Old 28th October 2020, 09:25 AM   #12
duncan2 is offline duncan2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That was my point there was a "battle" between the European Din plug/socket and the American RCA ( phono ) plug /socket , of course the RCA won.

The problem is that its surface contact in the RCA whereas in the Din the contacts actually bite into the metal for contact .

This caused an argument on EW/WW between engineers but also the UK "golden ears " --I was trying to find out the viewpoint among the posters here.
Old 28th October 2020, 09:50 AM   #13
duncan2 is offline duncan2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus46 View Post
All the houses on my street have aluminum wire from the power pole to the house. They just use a larger gauge
to make up for the ohmic losses. It costs and weighs less. It's probably the least troublesome thing in the house.

G

Up until the mass changeover to fibre (fiber ) in the UK many areas had aluminum underground cables , they were always going faulty and they still exist mainly in long runs in rural areas where its not financially viable to install fibre ( fiber ) .

It was on a par with the old lead plumbed in cable joints insulated with paper , every time it rained heavily faults developed .

There were parts of NY where bandwidth speeds were bad ,instead of cabling them to save money they used microwave relays , the local residents weren't too happy at the time as that's what was used ( in the past) to provide service to the Scottish Western Islands ---fibre ( fiber ) cable has now been installed in most in Scotland due to grants .
  Reply to this post

Copper corrosion protectionHide this!Advertise here!