Removing Scratched in Speaker Veneer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have Mission 770 with pretty sever scratches on the top ... any tips for getting them out - short of re-veneering, which I'll not do

Pictures show after light sanding with 600 grit to remove high spots, light soft pencil scribbled to identify "layer", light sanding with 320 grit to remove pencils marks - damp wipe to remove sanding dust. Still looks like hell.

Attachments

• IMG_9910.jpg
    IMG_9910.jpg
    831.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_9911.jpg
    IMG_9911.jpg
    994.8 KB · Views: 117
Strip any varnish (if there is any). A broad chisel held perpendicular to the surface makes a scraper. Or paint stripper (cover with polythene to allow it to work without drying out).
A light damping might swell some of the fibres to reduce the depth of scratches (untried but nothing to lose).
A belt sander removes material quickly but keep away from the edges to avoid rounding & exposing substrate. I have safely used a belt sander on veneer.
Discolouration of the scratches will have penetrated the wood and you won't totally remove it. A shade darker woodstain to camoflage would help.
I'm guessing from the colour that these are old scratches.
These are my definitely non-expert tips. Hopefully some experts will chime in.
After refinishing they will look a lot better and the remaining marks will be 'part of its history' as they say on restoration programs.

Use water to raise the scratched wood, then lightly sand with 400 grit sandpaper. You can then try using shoe polish wax to refinish the top. After that dries you can use a polyurethane spray to protect the wax finish. If you screw up the wax you can remove it with wood alcohol.

The other method is after raising the grain, sand or scrape (using a purpose made wood scraper) the wood, stain it, wipe the excess stain off and allow it to dry for a few days. Then shellac the surface and after that dries use a polyurethane spray to finish it.

Of course you can buy wax or shellac crayons to touch up normally damaged wood finishes.

I would only hand sand wood veneer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.