Steinberg Audio Interface UR242 Repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, newbie here.

I have an audio interface outputting to two speakers. Several years ago, my house experienced a power surge and we needed to reset the breaker. Since then, I've been getting terrible feedback from the speakers on-and-off. I've replaced the 1/4" cables and noticed the problem persisted. The issue occurs on both output channels and both speakers, which leads me to believe the issue is with the audio interface itself. As it is expensive to replace an interface, I wanted to see if anyone with more experience might have some advice. Is there any test I can do to determine with certainty the source of the problem? I don't have any other devices that can output to the speakers in question.

Thank you

Sounds like HF oscillation due to instability in your interface but without test gear to make sure 100 % then its not easy to locate other than circumstantial evidence that it wasn't there before the power surge and is there now .

If the loudspeakers are passive then the inductance in them is reacting with interface , this unit isn't a simple circuit to trace through but if you had a scope at the output and an input sine wave it might help otherwise its not a simple problem to sort.

I meant for testing the speakers. Since they only have 1/4" inputs, I use an audio interface between them and output devices like PC, etc.

I plugged headphones into the interface and got the same feedback at what seems to be random intervals. I think I can safely conclude the interface is damaged. I have removed the casing, but nothing looks visually 'fried.' :/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.