DIY Amp Guidance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am very new to the idea of building an AMP. I have an old metal toolbox from my Grandfather that the electrical union gave him with a nameplate. I just can’t bring myself to throw it away. So I have this idea of making an amp out of it. The tool box is roughly 18x8x9 in size and is a metal Craftsman.

I found a MOD 102 5 watt amplifier kit on Amazon. I would like to add 3” or 3.5” speakers to the front of the tool box, I may be able to get 4” in but it would be tight, and start detracting from trying to keep a more nostalgic look.

I have no idea what I am getting ready to step into. I am very handy and the project itself does not scare me. I just haven’t done audio before with such a specific purpose/outcome. Success would be a unique conversation piece that I could plug into and get a decent sound out of to strum around with an electric or acoustic-like a little practice amp.

All guidance and direction appreciated. Thanks in advance

Adjustments.jpg

Joined 2011
Kind of pricey, and the chassis could be too deep to fit inside the toolbox.
You'd leave off the handles on the sides. Really nice assembly instructions.

Chassis is 10" wide by 6" deep by 5" high (plus parts sticking out on the top and sides).

Last edited:
Kind of pricey, and the chassis could be too deep to fit inside the toolbox.
You'd leave off the handles on the sides. Really nice assembly instructions.

Chassis is 10" wide by 6" deep by 5" high (plus parts sticking out on the top and sides).

So I am thinking the chassis and components will likely be modified as necessary to integrate into the box. The guidance of this forum may point me in the direction of not using the chassis I mention, but something else that may be better suited for what I am wanting to do. Is there something else I should be considering?

Does anyone have any recommendation on speakers that would work with my intended application?

To each his own, but I think conflicting requirements may hurt each other.

Thinking the *main* objective is to rend homage to your Grandpa (which is to be commended) I woukd keep the case as original looking as possible, placing sopeajers at end cutouts, you may fit a pair of KILLER MOD 5" guitar speakers, and fit an SS amplifier inside, with a cool sounding preamp.

You might even mount the 5W tube amp inside, but forget the original chassis.

Instead make a "shelf" aluminum plate chassis, reaching front to back and "almost" side to side, not reaching the speaker magnets or going under them.

You might put controls and jacks on the back; back mounting electronics is an OLD tradition in Guitar amps and you´d leave that gorgeous front panel, including Logo and latches, fully untouched. Maybe drill a small Led hole and nothing else.

To each his own, but I think conflicting requirements may hurt each other.

Thinking the *main* objective is to rend homage to your Grandpa (which is to be commended) I woukd keep the case as original looking as possible, placing sopeajers at end cutouts, you may fit a pair of KILLER MOD 5" guitar speakers, and fit an SS amplifier inside, with a cool sounding preamp.

You might even mount the 5W tube amp inside, but forget the original chassis.

Instead make a "shelf" aluminum plate chassis, reaching front to back and "almost" side to side, not reaching the speaker magnets or going under them.

You might put controls and jacks on the back; back mounting electronics is an OLD tradition in Guitar amps and you´d leave that gorgeous front panel, including Logo and latches, fully untouched. Maybe drill a small Led hole and nothing else.

This is helpful. Appreciate the thinking. I will do some research on what your are recommending. I had not thought about the back for the inputs, I was going to put them in the front. Good call. Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.