Help needed to Fix or Repurpose old Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ceramic resistors are not too expensive and you may want to stock up with a few if you get the chance.....
I advise a 3.3uF polypropylene or other type of film resistor - not an NP electrolytic like the ones originally fitted in your Sanyos.

Ok will do, just as a visual reference, it's these in the link below right?
(I found a set of 5 pieces in amazon so it will be my bacup place to order if they don't have them in the store tomorrow)

ICQUANZX Condensatore a film 250v Dc 3.3uf MKPA-E Condensatori assiali rotondi in polipropilene per divisori audio (5PCS) (3.3uF): Amazon.it: Commercio, Industria e Scienza

Of course all this hangs on your purchase of large cone tweeters!

Yep for sure, already locked-in on those, I promise..... finally huh? :D ;)

hahaha
Hey so it's becoming a pain to get cone speakers locally, the store I mentioned is close mondays (yep, in Italy its normal apparently). I'm gonna go to another store I found, and I will go tomorrow as well to the one I was recommended.

I am basically one day away from ordering on amazon the Monacor HT 22/8 even if they are more expensive than usual in the italian site. At least like that I get the capacitors and whatever else I need in 1 order :D

One small detail about the old enclosures that I saw when I was toying with covering the "extra hole"... I forgot they had some mold on them and the wood has a soft touchy feeling mainly in the back. So Im either gonna just change the back panel or gonna redo the box with some extra boards a friend has :smash: (hurray for me, I get to scratch my woodworking itch anyway :D)

I want to respect the plan you made for me, so if I see it's worse than thought, I would just do an exact copy, minus the extra hole of course, respect the inner volume and use the existing port tube. I just wanted to ask you if I should have some special considerations for redoing the box? :cool:

If building a new enclosure, you can take the opportunity to re-arrange the drivers on the baffle. I would raise the bass driver, and hence the tweeter, higher up the baffle. You may also like to locate the port centrally for symmetry. Look at other 2-way speakers as a guide.

Tsk tsk, electronic stores close on monday morning ( and saturday afternoon ) but they open in the afternoon ( as, when it's saturday, in the morning!)
;)
Hey thanks for the tip! Do you happen to know a good online electronic component store here in Italy? Thanks!

If building a new enclosure, you can take the opportunity to re-arrange the drivers on the baffle..
Noted thanks! I would still have to wait and see how it looks when I take off that back panel, hopefully it's not that bad :p

I have a pair of B&W DM560's so maybe I could take some placement cues from those.. The B&Ws have a narrow baffle and deep enclosure as opposed to the Sanyos (a bit wider and shallower), but I suppose that the current baffle dimensions are important to respect correct?

Although narrow baffles and deep cabinets are the current trend, it's hard to see how, given the size of the woofer, you could make the cabinet much narrower.

As long as you maintain the current volume, you can tweek the other cabinet dimensions to suit any possible reduction in baffle width.

Attachments

• Sanyo SS-60.jpeg
    Sanyo SS-60.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 91
hahaha yeah, I noticed that lack of space just a few mins after writing but didn't have a chance to update/delete my dumb question.. so lets pretend I didn't ask :shhh: Thanks though for being kind enough to answer nicely :D

This is next question is a real one now. Given that I might place an order for speakers and components to fix these old Sanyos, is there some "general" components I should get/stock-up for future builds or are all components very specifically chosen to each project? (For example: I am planning on my next build to be small surround speakers).

Reason: In some website where components and speakers are cheaper than in amazon, if I go over 50-60EUR shipping is free :D

Crossover components consist of NP capacitors, inductors (coils) and ceramic resistors.

Their values are specific to each project.

Having a range of different values of each component would be great. It's something the regular speaker builder will have, but probably overkill for someone dipping their toes in the water.

The standard advice for beginners is to buy a kit which comprises of the drivers and the crossover components. That way you know everything is going to work together satifactorily.

@Galu Hey, thanks for the tip, noted, wont waste money :D

Small update today (didnt forget about it) I decided to be a bit more patient looking for components here, so I'm going to another store to see what I find, I'll update again once I decide how to get a hold of components.

Can I ask a small side-question. A friend's uncle is getting rid of some old stuff in the garage and there are some old pioneers SZ-92 there that I could take for more toying around. (this would not be for the current experiment since you already laid out a nice plan for it ;) ) I was wondering what tools would I need if I would want to get into toying with measuring/testing speakers, or if you think I am (yet again) getting ahead of myself? :D

Hey Galu!
Sorry for the "blackout".. To update you in the adventure of the monacor speakers.
So I ordered them and the capacitors, but speakers arrived damaged and there was a bit of an argument until Amazon kicked in and solved it. So now that I wanted to order them again (different seller) the price went up to 20EUR each plus delivery, so it's basically twice as much..
So, yeah that's that.. Just wanted to update you cause you've been quite patient and helpful :D

I'm gonna do some more searching to see if I find them at a normal price and I will update you again (or if you prefer I can reply until I get them :)

If you happen to know about another suitable model it would be great so that I can expand the search :D (I'm guessing other capacitors would be needed?)

Peace!

Thanks for the update - I'd just about given you up for lost!

You'll have to suggest alternative tweeters to me, as I don't know the availability of such components in your country.

If we're sticking to low cost units, Monacor also do the SPP-90 at around £18 each. SPP-90 | Monacor UK

If these are available for you to buy, first check that their physical dimensions suit your requirements.

Hey galu! Ok I'll check those out.

To summarize and scope my search I should be looking for tweeters with similar specifications as the HTs right?
-cone
-closed back
-1500-20khz
-90 ish sensitivity

Size won't matter much anymore because of the mold issue I found, so I would be making a new enclosure :D

Are dome tweeters completely off the table? They are being sold like crazy here. But full disclosure: I have not searched much until today for like 1hr, so I still have work to do; I just want to know what to completely scratch off, and if domes are a complete nono then no it is :-D

If there is another spec I should be looking for/avoid, please let me know to refine my search :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I gave a quick response last night, here's a fuller one!

A tweeter with a low resonance frequency is key, otherwise we're back to including a midrange driver in your renovation.

Dome tweeters with a low resonance frequency are expensive. This one has a resonance frequency of 750Hz, but costs around 50 euro. Wavecor TW022WA05, 4 OHM Dome Tweeter buy at hifisound.de

That's why the likes of the low cost Monacor SPP-90, with its low resonance frequency of 1,000Hz, would be an obvious choice for your purposes. SPP-90 | Monacor UK

A tweeter with a low resonance frequency is key, otherwise we're back to including a midrange driver in your renovation.

Aah ok, so the "fs" value.. up until now I have been not paying much attention to that value :eek: hahaha Mainly focused on the range and sensitivity.. :rolleyes:

So I am guessing that if I find a speaker but the fs value is nowhere to be found I'd better scratch it cause then it would be much worse than what you said about shooting in the dark with these speakers :p

Also, no open backs right? Unless I put it outside the main enclosure like you suggested a while back with a full range, which have open back.

As cost seems to be an issue, I think you should suggest some tweeters to me!

Well it is an issue in the sense that for these speakers I have been given enough info to understand that it's not worth the extra cash, and it's already kindof a hit and a miss type of project, which is why I set a constraint on the budget. :)

Yep I will! I will post some soon. :D

Last edited:
Hey Galu!

So I have been looking on and off.. and I just kept finding more and more full rangers that filled the requirements when adding filters haha :D

But don't worry I know you said that you might not be able to advise me on full rangers, so I tried to scratch those ;)

I found some that are not specified as full range but I suspect they are.. and I'm obviously no pro, but that freq graph looks horrible..
https://www.mouser.it/datasheet/2/670/css_10246_108-1888105.pdf

I also found some of those fugly oval shaped cones, but they all seem to be full range speakers, so I scratched those too.

Then on the cone side I found these Visaton TW70:
Security Check

TW70 Specs from the Visaton site: TW 70 - 8 Ohm | Visaton

Should I not mind that big dip on the higher end of these Visaton TW70?

I also also found these other Visaton TW 6NG:
Security Check

TW 6NG Specs from Visaton site:
TW 6 NG - 8 Ohm | Visaton

Then on the dome side I found these:
https://www.parts-express.com/grs-1td1-8-1-dome-tweeter-8-ohm--292-462
(found them on an italian site but since you might not be able read it, I included this other site in english)

Hope some or one of these is a good suggestion, otherwise I'll just keep looking :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.