Help needed to Fix or Repurpose old Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Depends what 'things' you are going to wire up! :rolleyes:

You've already wired the necessary capacitor in series with the tweeter and I've explained how to add the optional series attenuating resistor - so what more can I tell you?

If you decide to go for the variable L-pad, you don't include the series resistor, but wire the control between the capacitor and tweeter as per my most recent illustration.

Hey Galu!

There is not much open around here, and so far the only thing I have found is this (its in italian but values arent :D:p):

250.126.3822 - RESIST.FILO 5 WATT VISHAY 3.3 OHM

Im gonna keep looking of course but I am curious if it would work or better keep looking.

PS: I would order online but these things are barely 0.6EUR a piece so its kinda ridiculous to do so..

Last edited:
Yes, that is the type of resistor you need.

Remember that 3.3 ohm is only a guess as to the amount of resistance you will need to get the required degree of attenuation.

I suggest you also purchase 2.2 ohm and 4.7 ohm resistors so that you can experiment with less or more attenuation respectively.

Hey Galu!

Yep, we are experimenting :wrench::smash: and on that spirit... given that they don't have any 2.2 or 4.7 available (of course), and it is so far the only open electronics store close by due to restrictions, I have been reading a bit about resistors..

So I read that theoretically I can reach a desired resistance by combining resistors. I found a couple formulas and was wondering if this is transferable/applies to this audio goal.

In series = R1+R2
In parallel (if = values) = Rvalue ÷ # of resistors
In parallel (if ≠ values) = (R1×R2) ÷ (R1+R2)

So if I were to connect a 3.3 and 10 in parallel I would get ~2.48ohms, or a couple of 1ohms in series for 2ohms. Is this ok to do or did I just go into a pointless mini rabbit hole? :faint: :D

In series = R1+R2
In parallel (if = values) = Rvalue ÷ # of resistors
In parallel (if ≠ values) = (R1×R2) ÷ (R1+R2)
Yes, it is quite permissible to combine resistors in the above ways in order to produce a desired resistance value.

Well researched, you have pre-empted my next lesson! :cool:

You can actually do a lot with just a bunch of 3.3 ohm resistors:

Two 3.3 ohm in parallel = 1.65 ohm (to give less attenuation).

Two 3.3 ohm in parallel in series with 3.3 ohm = 4.95 ohm (to give more attenuation).

Alcuni tra noi anche parliamo Italiano, caro amico :p
EDIT:
:eek:
haha Bravissimo :D I know thats exactly what I meant, they all have these shipping prices :rolleyes:

Yes, it is quite permissible to combine resistors in the above ways in order to produce a desired resistance value.

Well researched, you have pre-empted my next lesson! :cool:

Gnarly! :cool: Nerd mode activated :p

You can actually do a lot with just a bunch of 3.3 ohm resistors:

Two 3.3 ohm in parallel = 1.65 ohm (to give less attenuation).

Two 3.3 ohm in parallel in series with 3.3 ohm = 4.95 ohm (to give more attenuation).
Alright, good to know I dont necessarily need to be too specific (in this case) and just get a nice varied bunch of those and test away. The store is closed on weekends so I will go on monday to get some parts. In the meantime have a great rest of the weekend! :cheers:

Hey Galu!
Sorry for the somewhat late xmas present Galu :santa3: :D Went to family's cabin and got locked down there for a while, got busy catching up on life stuff, so I just recently had time to do some testing.:wrench:

So your 3.3 ohm guess was a pretty darn good one! :cool:
I tried some simpler combos of resistors (from lower to higher ohms in "round numbers") and seemed too much or too little, except for the 3.3. I still need some adjusting with the treble knob with some music but so far it seems to be easier to handle with the 3.3 ohm. Most of my music seems to like your guess; the cymbals are not so overtaking now and I feel a little difference on the bass, as in punchier.

I am gonna try some more "complex" combos (i.e. parallel and ≠ values) in the coming days, to try "less rounded units" of ohms, and give you the "inside scoop" :D

If you have some suggestions of ohms for me to try please let me know (on the next test I'll try do the 3.9 you mentioned before).

Big thanks for your patience! :cheers:

Last edited:
If you have some suggestions of ohms for me to try please let me know (on the next test I'll try do the 3.9 you mentioned before).
Thanks for the update and all the best for 2021!

It looks like the combination of 3.3uF capacitor and 3.3 ohm resistor has hit the sweet spot!

(I think you'll find that the 3.9 figure I mentioned before was in relation to the capacitor value, and changing the capacitor's value from its present 3.3uF is not necessary.)

In summary, I don't think there is any need for further experimentation.

Simply sit back and enjoy the music!:note:

Last edited:
Hey Galu!

So I couldn't live with the doubt and gave the 3.9 a try (actually 4) and yeah.. I think you are right, it seems we did hit the spot on that 3.3 :D

I mean I barely have to play with the treble knob :cool:

And this great sound coming from moldy speaker boxes.. I bet they sound great once I get a chance to make some nice enclosures.

Thanks a ton for all your help and everything you taught me so far!
Big up! :cheers: (Is there like a rate/upvote/etc I could do for you? :D)

BTW, I know you mentioned that enclosure talk would be a separate post, but I just wanted to ask if you have any special considerations that I should keep in mind for these speakers since you did the brain work and I'm guessing software modeling?

Other than that I'm just curious about how you do things in this forum, if I should create a new post about the enclosure, should simply add a link to this conversation for others to have context? :)

Last edited:
Hey Galu! Thanks a ton for all your help and everything you taught me so far!
Big up! :cheers: (Is there like a rate/upvote/etc I could do for you? :D
Basking in the warmth of your thanks is sufficient for me. :up:

I don't always get thanked, perhaps because I've been instrumental in blowing up the OP's speakers! :happy1:

I don't see that you need to start a new thread on the construction of the enclosures since you have the original, damaged ones for reference.

You know the enclosure volume and as long as you stick to it without a drastic change in dimensions, the old port from the damaged enclosure will properly tune your replacement enclosure.

All you have to do is make the enclosure as inert and airtight as possible.

Here's a guide from which you can extract useful tips: DIY Audio Speaker Box Building Guide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.