Tap aluminum heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

in my experience, use of a proper tap wrench is the best way with plenty of lubrication. It allows you to feel the tap cutting and stop before any damage is done, like the tap snapping

Use a Taper tap first to start the process, with plenty of oil. As you go progress, after the tap has bitten, turn one whole turn of the wrench forward, and then one half turn backwards. This is important as it crushes the debris generated by the forward turn.

When you have got to the bottom of the hole with the Taper tap, you then use a Plug tap to finish the tap down to the bottom of the hole. (When you remove the Taper tap, use an old toothbrush to clean it) As the Plug tap goes in, do the same "one turn forward, half a turn back" method. again use plenty of oil or cutting liquid.

Did I mention to use plenty of lubrication, when both drilling and tapping?

Kind regards

Mike

It is easy to make a hand tapping machine!

Amazon.com: Grizzly Industrial G8748 - Hand Tapping Machine: Home Improvement

You may also note a small dimple in the back of the "T" style tap handles. The is so you can use a live or dead center in the back of the handle to keep the tap aligned. Works best in a lathe doing stock just after you drill it. But you can put a dead center in a drill press and align things to tap square.

I would never tap without a fluid such as "Tap Magic." They do a version for aluminum.

It is easy to make a hand tapping machine!

Amazon.com: Grizzly Industrial G8748 - Hand Tapping Machine: Home Improvement

You may also note a small dimple in the back of the "T" style tap handles. The is so you can use a live or dead center in the back of the handle to keep the tap aligned. Works best in a lathe doing stock just after you drill it. But you can put a dead center in a drill press and align things to tap square.

I would never tap without a fluid such as "Tap Magic." They do a version for aluminum.

I'd rather buy a drill press, it serves many other functions.

Taps are first taper, second taper & plug.

First taper has longest lead and is used first.
Second taper has shorter lead and is used second.
Plug is used to finish the threads in a blind hole.

For soft aluminium & brass you can omit the first taper.
Only tap blind if you must.
If you drill deep enough you may not need the plug.

You need accurate drill bits for tap holes, cheap drill sets may not be accurate enough for tap drills in small sizes. I reckon a hand-held drill will never drill a clean hole, use drill press, cutting fluid and practice to find a good feedrate for the material. Don't let the hole clog up with chips, that will cause friction, heat and enlarge the diameter of the hole (and risk breaking the drill).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.