Missing PCB pad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just replacing some damaged caps in an Audiolab 8200CDQ. This is the second time this has been done as I have power supply issues where I live. The first recap was done by an IAG certified tech. When I unsoldered the caps I noticed to of the pads on the underside of the board are missing. They are intact on the surface. Can I still solder to these? Just use more solder so it runs through the bottom to the surface pads? What’re your thoughts?

Attachments

• 17221376-012A-4CCC-AC75-8D9F81180994.jpg
    17221376-012A-4CCC-AC75-8D9F81180994.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I got it. Still had good contacts on the top of the board; continuity was good. I just started the cap up about 1/2” off the board, lots of flux in the hole then put a nice spot of solder and quickly slid the cap down and flush. From the underside I could see a nice clean plug of solder through the eyelet. I then soldered the underside just to be sure. All back together... works and sounds great.

Good stuff - hope they last.
I suppose eyelets would have been useful should you ever need to replace the caps again to avoid further PCB damage.
Also, as these seem to be a regular replacement item for you, had you left the cap say 5mm up, you could cut the legs for easy removal.

If I replace them again

Good stuff - hope they last.
I suppose eyelets would have been useful should you ever need to replace the caps again to avoid further PCB damage.
Also, as these seem to be a regular replacement item for you, had you left the cap say 5mm up, you could cut the legs for easy removal.

If I need to do the caps again I’ll just use the excess leads on the caps to jump the traces. I did a continuity test to see which way the circuit ran so going old school with wires would have been my next move if I couldn’t make a clean connection. Hopefully I won’t ever have to do this again! I have an APC audio UPS now. Thanks for your comment. 🙂

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.