Power switch amp rating question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've pieced together components for my Class D amp, including a powerswitch,and I just want to confirm with you that this will work safely, as I'm still learning about electronics. :-/

The powerswitch is rated at 5A.

I've got a Connex SMPS600RS that converts 220V AC to 38VDC.

The Amp board is specced to use 18.1A max current.

The way I understand it is that 19A x 38V = 772 Watt;
772 / 220 = 3.5 ampere.

Am I correct in understanding that the powerswitch on 220V will get a max amperage of around 3.5A, and therefore this powerswitch should be safe to use?

Should be ok, since the switch is rated at 250VAC.

Point taken. My worry was about it being rated at 5 ampere, while the Amp states drawing 18.1 ampere max.

But that's from the 38V SMPS.

So if my really bad electronics skills have not forsaken me, will at max draw (19A * 38V =) 772 Watts.

And 772 Watts from the 220v mains should at max result in a 3.5 ampere draw from the mains / through the power switch..?

Sorry if this is beginner's stuff, but hey.. I'm a beginner just trying to get the hang of it. :-/

Last edited:
Its the inrush current on switch-on that will weld a switch shut, fortunately that Connex
power supply has soft-start according to its data, so all should be fine.

The difference in price between 5 amp and 13 amp switches isn't much anyway.
The good thing about AC is it turns off twice every cycle so isn't as prone to arcing as DC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.