Selecting the right volume control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know that there are hundreds of ways to reduce the volume and some are great, other destroys the sound. I have read a lot about imput impedance, passive attenuates, the Lightspeed, Blue's LDR attenuator, stepper attenuators and so on, every one saying that it's a great solution. have my self, looked at using opto-mosfets and such things. You can also get chips, build for the purpose and even DAC's.

What I hope is to make an passive attenuator that I can connect directly to the Mooly amp input without changing the impedance, sound or anything important.
My first thought is to let positive and negative input go direct to the Mooly amp so that I can avoid the voltage drop a bad impedance can make.
I do also go after an infinite (not stepped) attenuation. Any idea on what to look at, is chips usefull at any degree?

LOL yes sorry my lack of knowledge of the right words:)
By bad impedance do I mean that if the impedance is to low, do the input signal get devided as in a voltage divider. You can add a buffer or properly several things.
But if both minus and positive, goes directly to the Mooly amp, do the input meat the Mooly amp's input impedance.

I am not sure I do understand your question about 100% signal, but I have often wondered why some amplifiers do get up to 1.7V but often only let 1V go further to the amp, and amplify that signal. Why not use 100% of the input and then just attenuate until the resulting volume is fie.

Last edited:
Thanks, maybe do I have other possibilities, if I do use a pot as you show, but only use it to adjust power, not the audio signal. In that way can I ignore the sound-quality on the pot and concentrate on finding an other component that do adjust resistance via change in power.

But I am thinking if all that is necessary? Isn't there any volume control chip that are "soundless"? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.