Bought a thick aluminum amp case and a 19mm powerbutton. Best way to make the hole?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LOL yes lets drop 95% / 99%:)
Hmm that do maybe make some sense, you do lead any heat away with fast evaporating fluid, much faster and better then any oil. I do in fact intend to try, why not take advantage of a great tip? :)
Have you ever tried to use cutting oil, you know the type that smokes under smallest amount of heat?

LOL while I am at it, any tips on getting perfect round holes in aluminum on a drill press?
Avoid skitting, triangl-ish holes, avoid burrs and so on

LOL yes lets drop 95% / 99%:)
Hmm that do maybe make some sense, you do lead any heat away with fast evaporating fluid, much faster and better then any oil. I do in fact intend to try, why not take advantage of a great tip? :)
Have you ever tried to use cutting oil, you know the type that smokes under smallest amount of heat?

LOL while I am at it, any tips on getting perfect round holes in aluminum on a drill press?
Avoid skitting, triangl-ish holes, avoid burrs and so on
Yes I did also motor oil, oil for sewing machines (yes very liquid one) specific formula used of cutting threads from late shop, cooling liquid for lates etc., WD40 (usually handy in any shop).
For aluminium I resharpen the bits to have less aggressive cutting angles. Triangular holes is a result of incorrectly set cutting speed for given material with still drill bits cutting angles drilling alu it is a bit of challenge.

But inflammable alcohol is?
Yes it is a trade I willingly making :). Also flammability in my case easier to control than splashing water around mostly woodworking shop.
Also, You describe a cooling effect, not a lubricating effect.
I wasn't planning nor willing spending time to debate it. Don't like it, don't use it, dismiss it as something you "read on internet" :)

The reason alcohol works well for aluminum is not necessarily for it's lubricating properties, it works as a cooling agent to reduce plasticization of the material at the point of the bit where heat is generated. If you've ever tried to drill aluminum without lube/coolant it usually ends up with a coating of the aluminum sticking to the lead edge of the bit, making the hole get ugly and imprecise in a hurry.

Mike

Yes I did also motor oil, oil for sewing machines (yes very liquid one) specific formula used of cutting threads from late shop, cooling liquid for lates etc., WD40 (usually handy in any shop).
For aluminium I resharpen the bits to have less aggressive cutting angles. Triangular holes is a result of incorrectly set cutting speed for given material with still drill bits cutting angles drilling alu it is a bit of challenge.
That's what I like so much about this forum... Here I am gallivanting around the threads and suddenly do I stumble upon knowledge I absolutely need but had forgot to ask about! :)
Yes triangle hole can be due to, to low speed or bad drill bit and other things. But often do "high" speed also mean aluminum "welding" it self onto the drill bit, but there do your tip, defiantly help! :)
I had, before your tip, thought about using a cup router bit for steel, it makes perfect holes and do not need high speed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.