Quick question on RCA interconnects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looked around a bunch on here and think I have my answer, but just looking for confirmation.

I'm trying to make a pair of longish RCA cables to add a second zone to my stereo. It's going to run through the basement so I received Canare star quad cable as a recommendation to keep out the interference.

I read a couple of threads on here about how to construct these properly and have one last question.

Of the three wires, signal (Blue), return/drain (white) and shield (braid), which one do I leave unconnected at one end of the cable? I've read posts/articles that say the drain should only go one way, but most of what I've read said the shield should be the wire left floating.

Thanks!

Canare Star-Quad cable is an excellent choice for an XLR balanced interconnect cable for use in a harsh interference environment. But this interference rejection only works when used in XLR balanced interconnects.
It does nothing in a RCA unbalanced interconnect.
Just use a coax cable with a heavy braided shield.

Canare Star-Quad cable is an excellent choice for an XLR balanced interconnect cable for use in a harsh interference environment. But this interference rejection only works when used in XLR balanced interconnects.
It does nothing in a RCA unbalanced interconnect.
Just use a coax cable with a heavy braided shield.
This. LV-77S is a good choice. So is 1505F. Basically you want as heavy a shield you can get within the realm of acceptable flexibility.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.