Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

wood with dissimilar expansion rate techniques ?
wood with dissimilar expansion rate techniques ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2020, 08:13 PM   #21
AudioFanMan is offline AudioFanMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.B View Post
I'm going to be picky here bamboo is not a wood, it is grass, regardless of what others write and say.

Grass or Wood, when almost anything can absorb moisture, it typically gets bigger. See below for more on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberner View Post
There could be a chemical reaction between the bamboo and the iron in your clamps causing the stain.

The clamps have plastic feet.

Probably considered cross posting, but reliant to the grass vs wood hangup

As a highly scientific test, I took two bamboo board cut offs, that measured almost exactly the same.

1 was 1.080 and the other 1.082...
Put one in a cup of water, nearly 24 hours later it measures 1.090 So, it grew 8 thou when soaking wet. Dont imagine it could get much wetter.
In comparison the second block was placed on a warm surface (Laptop power supply) for almost 24 hours and it now measures 1.076 or a reduction of 4 thou...

Even if I take the difference, of the two, add them its .012

Since the samples were almost 1" to begin, and my widest panel is 15" I multiply the .012 by 15 and I get a whopping .180 or a hair under 3/16"

Since I don't plan on submerging these anytime soon, Id say that's pretty dang stable.

All in all, I still need to make some allowances, but clearly a heavy 16th to an eight of space per edge should do it...

That said, adding 3/4" bamboo board as a skin say to an aluminum frame that wont move, or another wood that moves more, allowances need to be made...

wood with dissimilar expansion rate techniques ?Hide this!Advertise here!