Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

best way to protect copper pcb traces
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2020, 12:09 PM   #1
jamesfeline is offline jamesfeline  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default best way to protect copper pcb traces

Hello

I have some pure copper pcbs that I have made .. just need some advice, i like the polished copper look. Can I laquer the pcb then solder at a later date ? do PCB lacquers allow soldering afterwards ? any recommendations ? I was planning to polish the PCB so nice and shiney then spray with a good PCB lacquer like this as a example Electrolube CPL200H Clear Protective Lacquer 200ml | Rapid Online
then solder later ... or should I populate the pcb then lacquer afterwards ??

you thoughts

regards

Last edited by jamesfeline; 8th March 2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 8th March 2020, 12:19 PM   #2
amplidude is online now amplidude  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Why not do it the other way around, polish it, then solder all parts, then clean it thoroughly, and as last step laquer it, seems to me to be best option
Old 8th March 2020, 01:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplidude View Post
Why not do it the other way around, polish it, then solder all parts, then clean it thoroughly, and as last step laquer it, seems to me to be best option
Yep was thinking that. .. but sometimes takes me a while to complete the PCB but I suppose I could carefully rap the board in a airtight bag for some protection...
Old 8th March 2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The clear protective lacquer is the stuff I use. It may say on the tin 'do not shake' which I assume is to prevent small bubbles forming.

I use the stuff by spraying it into an egg cup and then brushing it on quite liberally.

It dries super glossy and clear and can be soldered through if needed. If you use it in cold damp conditions then the quick initial evaporation of the solvents will cause condensation and a bloom... I suppose all of which is why I end up brushing it on. Fresh out of the tin it is very free flowing and will cover well with a kiddies tiny brush... just pour it on the board and let it flow.
Old 8th March 2020, 02:04 PM   #5
thimios is offline thimios  Greece
diyAudio Member

To protect my diy pcb always i use solder.
The same that i use for parts soldering.
Old 8th March 2020, 02:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
The clear protective lacquer is the stuff I use. It may say on the tin 'do not shake' which I assume is to prevent small bubbles forming.

I use the stuff by spraying it into an egg cup and then brushing it on quite liberally.

It dries super glossy and clear and can be soldered through if needed. If you use it in cold damp conditions then the quick initial evaporation of the solvents will cause condensation and a bloom... I suppose all of which is why I end up brushing it on. Fresh out of the tin it is very free flowing and will cover well with a kiddies tiny brush... just pour it on the board and let it flow.
Thatís a good idea
Old 8th March 2020, 09:51 PM   #7
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Plastic70 from Kontactchemie is what I use and the soldering iron melts it when soldering.
Old 8th March 2020, 10:17 PM   #8
DaveG is offline DaveG  United States
diyAudio Member

You can wipe them with cramolin or deoxit.

best way to protect copper pcb tracesHide this!Advertise here!