Embracing the edge...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im deciding on material for an enclosure. At first, plywood was in last place. I couldn't paint plywood without guilt, and would prefer to stain a dark brown with hint of red. My issue was I wanted a slight radius on all of the edges and felt the exposed edges might be an eye sore... So after considering MDF, HDF, Corian and so on, I come across a picture of a stained plywood cabinet with the edges lighter than the face... The effect is striking and was done well...

I could certainly live with that look, but am not sure how to...

I thought the edge (more opened grained) absorbed more stain and would normally be darker. If so, what is a good approach to get the same affect ?

My guess is may be a sealer / sanding sealer on the edges only ??

Thanks in advance!

EDIT!

I think it just hit me... Stain the plwood BEFORE cutting..

But, if this is too simple, whats the other way ?
Thanks again...

Attachments

• 2tone.png
    2tone.png
    207.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Exposed edges of good plywood is a classic design choice. When I make my next cabinets I'll try it, but since I want mine jet black I'll use rust and vinegar aka iron acetate (see 'ebonizing wood').

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Absolutely! And something like jet black corian is what I really wanted, but between sourcing and cost, may wind up with ply..

But ty for the ebonizing wood, will look at asap!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.