Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Freud 1-1/2 inch roundover bit highly recommended
Freud 1-1/2 inch roundover bit highly recommended
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2020, 08:29 PM   #1
hifijim is offline hifijim  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Freud 1-1/2 inch roundover bit highly recommended

I just finished putting a rounded edge on my baffles. Although I have a lot of experience using a router in various woodworking projects, this is the first time I have used a router bit this large. It is the "Freud 1-1/2" Radius Rounding Over Bit, 1/2" Shank (Quadra-Cut) (34-140)".

I have never been disappointed in the quality of Freud bits. In the US and Canada, Freud bits are one of the higher priced options... not sure how they are priced in Europe, South America, Asia, Australia, etc... This bit is no exception... expensive but very high quality.

Notice the shavings I am holding in my hand. Rather than dust or fine chips, this bit made huge piles of shavings, similar to a block plane. (of course if I was cutting plywood or MDF, I would get dust and fine chips). The bit performed flawlessly. I was concerned about tearout on the end grain of the exiting side, but none happened. Cut quality was excellent.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200214_122109.jpg (353.0 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg 20200214_123404.jpg (202.1 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg 20200214_123422.jpg (311.8 KB, 220 views)
Old 15th February 2020, 04:13 PM   #2
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

It presumably has a minimum power requirement being that large?
Old 16th February 2020, 12:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a 15 year old Porter Cable 3 HP router. Yes power is important, but I was taking a small amount off on each pass, so not a lot of power was being delivered to the bit. The first pass was about 3/8 inch, and then 1/8 inch per pass after that, with the final finish cut of less than 1/16 inch. I fed the stock pretty slowly. If my router was a 2 hp unit, I doubt I would have noticed.

More important is low speed. This bit has a 12,000 rpm maximum. I ran it at 10,000 rpm.

Most important is a good router table and a good fence.
Old 18th February 2020, 03:37 PM   #4
audio king is offline audio king  Canada
diyAudio Member

I like Freud bits. Excellent quality and very consistent.Easily available too,even here in Canada (we're a bit of a retail wastelend)

I bought a 1/2" Freud roundover bit (Quadra-Cut) recently for a rush job and was very impressed by the quality of the cut finish.And due to the top quality edge geometries and finishing,these guys aren't wasting your horsepower creating heat or getting bogged down. They cut very efficiently

But (there's always a but,haha) I find that for my Leigh Dovetail Jig,the Whiteside dovetail bits actually outperform the Freud (and Leigh) bits by a wide margin. Cleaner cuts overall,and less tearout on the backside,with or without a backing. Also,a lot more cuts before sharpening is required.
Old 19th February 2020, 04:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well Whiteside is certainly top drawer as well. My whiteside spiral up-cut bit is a real workhorse.
Old 21st February 2020, 04:44 AM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

hifijim, if you're referring to the 7518 or 7519 - that's certainly the right beast to spin a bit that size - but more than I think a lot of guys want to invest for occasional hobby work.
Old 22nd February 2020, 05:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Mine is actually a 7539, which is apparently no longer made. yes it is a beast, but as I said, I think a 2 HP machine would work as long as you take small cuts and spin the bit at 12000 rpm or less.

Everyone has to work within the tools and skill set they have available. Roundover edges and bevel edges are optional in any case. My first pair of speakers were built with a cheap jig saw (skil saw), a drill, and a screw driver. After doing woodworking for 30 years, I have put together a nice shop.

My post was intended for those who are contemplating a large round-over bit. These bits are expensive, and it is nice to buy with a solid recommendation.
Old 25th February 2020, 01:18 AM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well put
Old 25th February 2020, 06:29 PM   #9
Oceanw is offline Oceanw  Finland
diyAudio Member

Im interested about buying this large Freud 1-1/2" rounding bit.
I dont have router table and have used my small Makita (600W) thisfar with hands, but my bits have been for this little machine which has 8mm shaft.
Now I can get one second hand router (1800W) for cheap and I was wondering if it would be hazardous to try make large rounding work with this bit without table?
Old 25th February 2020, 11:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have never tried hand routing with a bit larger than 1 inch (25 mm) cutter diameter. It may be possible... but I would advise against it.

A router table does not have to be fancy. For many years I would make a temporary table from 3/4 inch plywood clamped between two saw horses. I would use common pine or fir timber as the fence... I would plane it smooth on one side. The fence would be clamped in place. Yes it is slow to set up, but it is inexpensive.

Freud 1-1/2 inch roundover bit highly recommendedHide this!Advertise here!