Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Freud 1-1/2 inch roundover bit highly recommended
Freud 1-1/2 inch roundover bit highly recommended
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2020, 09:29 PM   #1
hifijim is online now hifijim  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Freud 1-1/2 inch roundover bit highly recommended

I just finished putting a rounded edge on my baffles. Although I have a lot of experience using a router in various woodworking projects, this is the first time I have used a router bit this large. It is the "Freud 1-1/2" Radius Rounding Over Bit, 1/2" Shank (Quadra-Cut) (34-140)".

I have never been disappointed in the quality of Freud bits. In the US and Canada, Freud bits are one of the higher priced options... not sure how they are priced in Europe, South America, Asia, Australia, etc... This bit is no exception... expensive but very high quality.

Notice the shavings I am holding in my hand. Rather than dust or fine chips, this bit made huge piles of shavings, similar to a block plane. (of course if I was cutting plywood or MDF, I would get dust and fine chips). The bit performed flawlessly. I was concerned about tearout on the end grain of the exiting side, but none happened. Cut quality was excellent.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200214_122109.jpg (353.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20200214_123404.jpg (202.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20200214_123422.jpg (311.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 15th February 2020, 05:13 PM   #2
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

It presumably has a minimum power requirement being that large?
Old 16th February 2020, 01:21 AM   #3
hifijim is online now hifijim  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a 15 year old Porter Cable 3 HP router. Yes power is important, but I was taking a small amount off on each pass, so not a lot of power was being delivered to the bit. The first pass was about 3/8 inch, and then 1/8 inch per pass after that, with the final finish cut of less than 1/16 inch. I fed the stock pretty slowly. If my router was a 2 hp unit, I doubt I would have noticed.

More important is low speed. This bit has a 12,000 rpm maximum. I ran it at 10,000 rpm.

Most important is a good router table and a good fence.

Freud 1-1/2 inch roundover bit highly recommendedHide this!Advertise here!