Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Noob question - micro usb port bypass
Noob question - micro usb port bypass
Noob question - micro usb port bypass Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2020, 11:27 AM   #1
sirensynapse is offline sirensynapse
diyAudio Member

Default Noob question - micro usb port bypass

Hi, I'm no electro tinkerer really, just joined to pick the brains of you, my betters.
I have a little jbl speaker on my bike which I plug an mp3 player into for music while touring and buzzing around town. It's usb powered; I charge it from my bike's dynamo.
Lately, the micro usb port is wobbly and I can only get it to maintain contact by pushing the plug hard to one side, which of course means it's about dead.

So I'm just wondering if it would be possible to somehow bypass that port and hang a cable with another micro usb plug outside the speaker a bit, soldered inside where the port used to be; something flexible to alleviate future stress at the connection.
I just wonder if there's enough room to do any soldering on such tiny bits of wires. How many wires does usb just for power use, actually?
I'd just buy another speaker, but like reusing/recycling and I fear the next one will just end up the same in a year or two anyway. I had this happen on quite a few other gadgets. Such a damned weak point.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 11th February 2020, 12:01 PM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It is possible to 'hard wire' but not recommended for physical reasons; track will fall off etc.
Fit a new uUSB socket before it destroys the pcboard.
There are five connections;
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 12.00.41.png (236.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 11th February 2020, 12:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
It is possible to 'hard wire' but not recommended for physical reasons; track will fall off etc.
Fit a new uUSB socket before it destroys the pcboard.
There are five connections;
So is it relatively easy to solder a new one in? I have a soldering iron, though I'm horrible at it. Or I could hire someone to do it.
Old 11th February 2020, 12:40 PM   #4
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You will need a hot air desoldering tool plus experience in soldering micro electronics. If I were you, I would take/send it to a known good engineer to carry out the work.
Micro USB sockets are not expensive.
Old 11th February 2020, 12:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, fellas. I'll see if anyone around here can do it.
Old 11th February 2020, 01:11 PM   #6
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

The problem with those tiny USB sockets is .. the soldering is done underside the connector, so special hot air solder is needed. Yes You can solder new wires to the PCB, but You have to fix them somehow. Perhaps a zip-tie or a knot inside the speaker will do. USB just needs Ground & 5V. A mouse cord comes to me in mind.
Old 11th February 2020, 01:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Bonus question: would it be simple to ID and totally kill whatever is broadcasting bluetooth in this thing? I am really electrosmog-averse, and just realized these things don't only receive but also emit radiation...grrrrrr.
Old 11th February 2020, 09:00 PM   #8
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAAC0 View Post
The problem with those tiny USB sockets is .. the soldering is done underside the connector, so special hot air solder is needed.

Special hot air solder?? Nah, any solder can be reworked with hot air, just dial the temperature up to the right point and be patient. Less solder and more flux is a good mantra to have - use too much solder and it may wick up into connector.

Solder _paste_ might be what you are thinking of, but for rework the existing solder is usually enough, just add some more rosin as flux so it will run properly.

The best, most robust microUSB sockets have through-hole pegs for mechanical strength.

There are many different footprints for these sockets, you probably need to know the precise part number to replace it.

Noob question - micro usb port bypassHide this!Advertise here!