Noob question - micro usb port bypass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is possible to 'hard wire' but not recommended for physical reasons; track will fall off etc.
Fit a new uUSB socket before it destroys the pcboard.
There are five connections;

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 12.00.41.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 12.00.41.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 110
The problem with those tiny USB sockets is .. the soldering is done underside the connector, so special hot air solder is needed. Yes You can solder new wires to the PCB, but You have to fix them somehow. Perhaps a zip-tie or a knot inside the speaker will do. USB just needs Ground & 5V. A mouse cord comes to me in mind.

The problem with those tiny USB sockets is .. the soldering is done underside the connector, so special hot air solder is needed.

Special hot air solder?? Nah, any solder can be reworked with hot air, just dial the temperature up to the right point and be patient. Less solder and more flux is a good mantra to have - use too much solder and it may wick up into connector.

Solder _paste_ might be what you are thinking of, but for rework the existing solder is usually enough, just add some more rosin as flux so it will run properly.

The best, most robust microUSB sockets have through-hole pegs for mechanical strength.

There are many different footprints for these sockets, you probably need to know the precise part number to replace it.

attachment.php

Hi, dragging this up again.
Can someone ID the bluetooth sender in this photo? If I pull it off will I short something? I hate eating microwaves. :)
The battery in this thing is 3.7 v. I had the idea to simply hook my bike's dynamo powered 5v usb charger directly to the battery and skip the whole wonky usb port..
Is there a simple way to add something in-line to reduce the voltage? I know zilch about this stuff, despite electronix class 30 years ago in high shoool, hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.