Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Multichannel Speaker Cables
Multichannel Speaker Cables
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2020, 02:17 AM   #31
emdubya is offline emdubya  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Useful source...thank you. In retrospect, I should have used something like this (perhaps a little lighter).
Old 14th February 2020, 02:33 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboxler View Post
Have you tried swapping the left and right cables at the amp to see if the imbalance moves?
Not yet, I'm still cleaning up the mess I've made developing these speakers and rearranging the room and wiring.

The first thing I'll do is just to switch the routing in the miniDSP so that the left channel is routed to the right speaker and vice versa. If the symptoms move to the other speaker, that eliminates the speakers and everything else downstream of the miniDSP. If there's no change, then I'll try swapping cables and then swapping the speakers themselves.

I'd like to make it look like I'm not spending too much time on these speakers now, but I should get to it in the next day or two.

FWIW, I did pull all the cables out of the wall plate and measure the round-trip resistance of each driver and cable in turn. The channel differences were typically about 0.2 Ohm on totals of 5 or 6 Ohm. It was the left channel that had the slightly higher resistance.
Old 14th February 2020, 10:16 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

To clarify my earlier comment to the effect that my left speaker sounds slightly louder than the right speaker, it might be more helpful to say that the sound stage has a bias towards the left. A good example is Jacintha's "Willow Weep for Me", which opens with a sax on the left, other instruments towards the right, and with her voice taking centre stage. I am hearing the sax on the left, the other instruments between the right speaker and the centre, and her voice a little to the left of centre.

A useful feature of the miniDSP digital signal processor is the ability to turn off any or all channels at will. Thus it is easy to turn on just the left tweeter and to then confirm that that is indeed the driver that is producing sound. This makes it easy to confirm that all drivers are working and are connected to the correct left and right speakers.

I have also tested the woofers and mids for polarity using a 9V battery. I can't really do this with the tweeters, but I don't think they could account for the difference I'm hearing.

Here's what I did this morning...

First, I listened to Jacintha with everything connected as usual and heard this left bias on the sound stage. I then routed the left channels to the right speaker and the right channels to the left speaker in the miniDSP. I expected to hear a "mirror image" but, to my amazement, I heard a normal full soundstage! My reaction to this was to suspect a technical issue in part of the routing in the miniDSP.

I then repeated the experiment, but this time with the cables reversed at the wall plate. Same result, which seems to eliminate the miniDSP as the cause of the problem (this is a bit of a sweeping statement).

I returned the cables to their correct position and repeated the first experiment with another of my favourite test tracks: Arne Domnerus' "Lady be Good" from "Jazz in the Pawnshop". As with Jacintha, with the miniDSP routing correctly, the sound stage has a slight left bias, but when the routing is switched around, "WOW"...the performance is magnificent!

I am at a loss to explain how this can be. The finger appears to be pointed at the digital processor, but the experiment with the reversed cables should have confirmed this, and didn't. The best I can come up with is a problem elsewhere in the digital processor.

I'm going to have to repeat the cable-swapping part of the experiment to confirm or otherwise a routing issue.

It can be a little mind-boggling trying to follow the logic-flow through all this, but I would welcome anyone's insight into explaining what I'm hearing. At the moment, my immediate solution is simply to listen to the system with the left and right channels reversed, but that's not really the "solution".

I guess I should really move this to the miniDSP forum...

Multichannel Speaker CablesHide this!Advertise here!