1x Large Torroidal or Multiple ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The system will be powering a DAC - (+ve & -ve) 5v dac analogue and (+ve) dac digital separate voltages as well as a (+/- ve) separate internal headphone amp board. Looking at a linear power setup a case that can take the sizes.

In my head I have that a larger transformer could supply the voltage, so could smaller separate torroidals. All of the PSUs aren't really going to have a flux issue in driving the current needed (they'd be spec'd accordingly to demand). So the main thought is noise.

Either;
* larger transformer, rectifier & filters supplying a common rail to smaller regulators.
* 2 or 3 smaller toroidals with tailored rectifiers, filters and regulators.

The DAC will be Soekris' 1941. Specification states +5V max 0.6A, -5V max 0.1A but for this it would be:
VCC5D - Digital Power @ 5V. 350mA
VCC5A - Analogue +5V @ 85mA
VEE5A - Analogue -5V @ 85mA

Soren indicates that the output buffer is takes it's power from the Analogue +/- 5V lines and works fine (Q here is 85mA to drive all that lot seems asking for it).

Soren has indicated that a digital display may be 150mA extra, however I'd like to run a number of things in future including RPi (5V 2.5A), a TFT screen (5.5V 150mA), etc so that would be 3-4A total. Initially I would use a CPLD (50mA max) that would be switching relays (latching but say 100mA for a coil).

The headphone amp would be Ian's HP2 which is 28V 1A by itself (judging by the rear of the pre-built HP2.

I was thinking to run the analogue supplies using LT3045 (+ve) and LT3094 (-ve) at 5V 200mA. This would work for the DAC, but I would probably add a second pair in parallel for noise and ability to support the buffer board. The 28V 1A supply would be via an LM-series regulator as the LT30xx tops out at 20V.

Last edited:
With torroidals there is always the suspicion that noise from one winding can easily be coupled to another up to fairly high frequencies. What you propose is not a comparison i have actually performed but the multiple transformer route seems safer if ultimate sound quality is the goal.

1.5A for headphone amp?

Anyway I'd say one >= 25VA transformer for +/-5V (centre-tapped and full bridge rectified),
perhaps rectified and smoothed to >= 8V and then use point-of-load 5V regulators for each component - certainly the heavy load of a future RPi shouldn't impact on the existing 5V rails or cause them to droop.

second 50VA transformer for 28V supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.