Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

prototyping solid state output sections
prototyping solid state output sections
prototyping solid state output sections Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2019, 01:19 AM   #1
Mark Tillotson is online now Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Default prototyping solid state output sections

I've got a technique for building prototype output stages for experimentation and testing with solid-state amps that seems to work quite well, so I thought I'd share it - nothing very earth shattering, but seems to work quite well.

Using stripboard and a chunk of aluminium as a heatsink/thermal mass. I tend to put output devices, drivers, any associated caps/resistors on the board, sometimes the whole bias generator, sometimes just a thermal compensation transistor. The connecting wires are solid-core suitable for direct breadboard insertion.

Click the image to open in full size.
(note the thermal pads are just kapton tape with a little thermal paste on top!)

Click the image to open in full size.
This is the latest, an EF output stage using MJE15030/1, NJW3281/1302's.
I've done this also for CFP stage, lateral MOSFET stage, and a quasi-comp IGBT stage.

Some of them included Zobel and inductor, but I've a separate board for that now.

This makes it easy to experiment with amplifier topologies on a breadboard, firstly without the OS, then tie in an OS once that's satisfactory. Less chance of making mistakes (although adjustable current limited supply is useful for that).

I'm thinking of making some little Vbe multipliers that plug into a breadboard too, and generally modularizing to make it easier to play with basic topologies.

For a finished design I would always layout a PCB, this isn't a standard of construction I'd like in a finished amp(!)

Last edited by Mark Tillotson; 29th December 2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 30th December 2019, 01:20 AM   #2
augustoriodosul is offline augustoriodosul  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

Good idea with to veroboard. Wired only tests are unstable. Thanks for sharing.
Old 18th January 2020, 09:50 AM   #3
NickKUK is offline NickKUK
diyAudio Member

Do you find any capacitance from having strips?
Old 18th January 2020, 09:58 AM   #4
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tillotson View Post

For a finished design I would always layout a PCB, this isn't a standard of construction I'd like in a finished amp(!)
Very wise. One of my own early designs used strip board.
I accidentally shorted the output and it vapourised the ground line on the strip board before the fuse blew.

With the likes of JLCPCB etc PCB's are very cheap now.
Just watch out for cheap PCB's but then they add on extra to the postage fee.
Old 18th January 2020, 10:57 PM   #5
Mark Tillotson is online now Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKUK View Post
Do you find any capacitance from having strips?
Well naturally, but this is an output section, the stray capacitance is totally dwarfed by the device capacitance by several orders of magnitude I think.

prototyping solid state output sectionsHide this!Advertise here!