Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

PR size for 4 inch woofer.
PR size for 4 inch woofer.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2019, 03:26 PM   #1
Sarthaksm is offline Sarthaksm  India
diyAudio Member

Default PR size for 4 inch woofer.

Hello,
I took apart my old philips two way bass reflex speakers that has 20 watts 6 ohms 4 inch woofer. These woofers dont have a crazy amount of excursion but they sounded really very solid and pleasant in their stock enclosure. I am going to make a portable boombox and I will be adding passive radiators to keep things small. The only thing I can't finalise is PR'S size.
Some say to go for 4 inches and some say to go for 6.5 inches. I think going for a bigger PR would be better as these woofers were in quiet a big box for their size but still need some clarity on what would be a better decision or general rule of thumb.

Thank you.
Old 5th December 2019, 06:46 PM   #2
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

As a general rule the PRs should be capable of shifting twice the amount of air as the woofer, so, twice the area or twice the excursion
Old 6th December 2019, 02:13 AM   #3
Sarthaksm is offline Sarthaksm  India
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scott. I will be going with 6.5 inches and see what result comes out.

PR size for 4 inch woofer.Hide this!Advertise here!