Is this supposed to work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Hi friends

I just stumbled upon a website, qrp-popcorn.blogspot.com, where this image is published. This looks so weird I'm asking myself if this is actually supposed to work? how?

(is this really just a free-floating PTP construction, and all grounding is soldered onto the copperplate while the parts are connected in the air? Is this grounding working?)

#steeplearningcurve

all the best
david

Attachments

• DSC_1411-2-1.jpg
    DSC_1411-2-1.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 388

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> this is actually supposed to work? how?

The ideal circuit board has "NO" effect on the circuit operation. So why have it?

The primary problem here is that if the Rolling Stones take it on World Tour, or even if you ship it UPS/FedEx/USPS, parts will break off. The conventional tag-strips and boards give more support. And also don't need so much thinking to assemble (thinking is done in board design).

It excels for radio prototypes because a clever skilled builder can make critical connections very-very short, butt-to-butt if needed. I have done it for audio because I done so much 'clever' soldering it just comes natural. But not even for local road-trips, this build may be fragile. (It is possible to make it really robust but that needs skill and luck.)

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Hi friends

I just stumbled upon a website, qrp-popcorn.blogspot.com, where this image is published. This looks so weird I'm asking myself if this is actually supposed to work? how?

(is this really just a free-floating PTP construction, and all grounding is soldered onto the copperplate while the parts are connected in the air? Is this grounding working?)

#steeplearningcurve

all the best
david

That thing's nothing more than some slop mess.
And anyone constructing such crap shouldn't have access to a soldering iron.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Last edited:
I once had someone hanging in my shop. I had a germanium diode out for some reason. I said, "Hey, watch this." and took the diode and a small cap, and wired it in free air, and connected it to a handy guitar amp. We then listened to the local AM radio station.

HArdly in the same league, of course.

That's stern (strict? severe?)! :eek:

Harsh perhaps?

That thing's nothing more than some slop mess.
And anyone constructing such crap shouldn't have access to a soldering iron.

Just remember that this kind of stuff used to be in commercial production...

attachment.php

There is a radio guy on Youtube that I saw a while back who shows some of that 'island' technique (which is mainly for prototyping btw) here: YouTube

I thought it to be quite useful for quick and dirty testing or for quickly constructing test rigs. More sturdy than plastic breadboards anyhow.

Attachments

• NV_1014_Koebel_Figure09-A.jpg
    NV_1014_Koebel_Figure09-A.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 529
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.