Quick XLR Socket Install Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a quick question. I am building one of the ghent audio hypex case kits and I am currently trying to wire the xlr socket. I have 3 connections, 1, 2, and 3F. Based on the picture they post, 2 is the live connection (for the blue cable). Now I have a white cable (negative, I assume) and the ground from the wire itself.

My question is, do I connect the ground to 1 and negative to 3F?

Please see the attached picture for clarification.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 161

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> That F by the 3 confused me.

Might be "Female".

Why? Because seen from the rear, the three terminals go 1-2-3 or 3-2-1 depending on sex. The wire-person may not see the face of the connector. An "M" or "F" on the terminals may be faster than looking at the 123/321 order.

On most XLR style connectors there is a fourth tab that is the chassis connection. Some folks jump that to pin 1. The careful use a capacitor for that.

The one you have does not have a chassis connection. So depending on your circuit it may have a chassis connection.

Another approach with trully balanced circuits is to only connect the shield at the send end.

I suspect you have differential inputs which are a bit different. They will work with a shield and just one other pin connected, but they work better with both other pins connected.

If confused consider the original balanced audio technique with transformers for send and receive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.