why not / how about Nim/Camac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Hi all!

While surfing around and dreaming of my self-built helluva stereo-setup, I found those:
00_01_connector_lemo_sizing.jpg

00_01_lemo_connector_2.jpg

(00 Stecker | LEMO Connectors | Push-Pull, Circular Connectors | Cables)

These were used by Madrigal/Mark Levinson for some time.

Ok, so much for the drooling.

Couldn't these plugs be used for a "stereo signal single wire"?
That would pretty much calm down the cable-salad of the rear—1 cable per device into the amp...

Has anyone used those?

Thanks, and best!
david

They LOOK great, I am excited by super machined look. For all the world they resemble some of the connections on my dentist's gear. As long as your cable has individually shielded conductors inside, I see no reason they would work less well than the DIN connectors used in Europe for years.

As someone in pro audio, I made effort to never use specialized cords, because on the road, if one broke, you could not race to the music store for another. If I used conventional connectors then I can always replace a bad cord on the spot. Or I could connect other things to my gear than the thing I mostly use. If such versatility does not enter into your calculations then it is a non-issue.

I have used Lemo connectors extensively professionally and at home over many years. I have never seen any kind of issue or failure with this type of connector and highly recommend their use. The difference between Lemo and RCA connectors is absolutely huge, it's really a shame that they were never widely adopted as an audio connector. The only downsides are the aforementioned compatibility issues and their high cost.

Take care,
Doug

Definitely an avantage to go for connectors for which standard cables are available, especially if in a range of lengths and colours. CAT5 patch cords lack shield, but perhaps Firewire?

Breakouts allow easy of use of the sockets (which are pcb-mount and usually SMT):

1394-6F-BO-V1A FireWire IEEE 400 6 pin connector socket breakout board – eLabBay

Firewire has two twisted pair and shield, so differential stereo could be done as well as single ended.

When I was with Soundfield Microphones we used Leno extensively for multi channel audio and power, mechanically quite excellent, but EXPENSIVE.

Still, when you need 4 channels on balanced lines plus a split rail supply in a small connector, and cost is not an issue, there is nothing better. Widely used in Film and Video production as well, so at least familiar in that sector.

CAT5 is just fine, provided you balance the lines, line level over hundreds of feet of cat 5 is routine, but the connectors (even if you go ethercon) are nothing like as nice mechanically as the lemo, but you can at least leverage building structured wiring.

WRT Lemo, there are a lot of fakes out there of varying (but generally poor) quality, not the same thing at all.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
expensive?

When I was with Soundfield Microphones we used Leno extensively for multi channel audio and power, mechanically quite excellent, but EXPENSIVE.

Still, when you need 4 channels on balanced lines plus a split rail supply in a small connector, and cost is not an issue, there is nothing better.

WRT Lemo, there are a lot of fakes out there of varying (but generally poor) quality, not the same thing at all.

I got in touch with LEMO yesterday, they sent me an (estimate? offer?) to start working with. They're not as cheap as noname RCA-connectors, but rather in the range of reasonable pro-equipment (Neutrik comes to mind). IF the stereo-connection works. (1 LEMO-connector = 2 Neutrik-connectors)...

Seems quite reasonable to me!

best
david

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Definitely an avantage to go for connectors for which standard cables are available, especially if in a range of lengths and colours. CAT5 patch cords lack shield, but perhaps Firewire?

Breakouts allow easy of use of the sockets (which are pcb-mount and usually SMT):

1394-6F-BO-V1A FireWire IEEE 400 6 pin connector socket breakout board – eLabBay

Firewire has two twisted pair and shield, so differential stereo could be done as well as single ended.

These are good advices:), thank you Mark!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.