Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Power-switch & Volume-control in one?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2019, 02:18 PM   #11
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovk Z View Post
- they are all battery powered! Don't do that with 110-230 VAC!
Thanks for the advice!
I was thinking of a tricked design: Having the attenuator-knob mechanically switching the power-switch... Or, like, have the Attenuator trigger a relay which switches the mains on/off...
I'm sure you can read out of these that I am no expert... and, I know it's not thought through, but I'm "having visuals". I may try to build something (someday).

da.
Old 30th October 2019, 02:24 PM   #12
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
In the tube TV's and radios, this combined switch and volume control was very usual, and no troubles still in our 220VAC lines.
Old 30th October 2019, 04:43 PM   #13
Vovk Z is offline Vovk Z  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Old tube TV were far from today safety standarts. So they are not a good example
In modern audio-devices, usually it is used a way with auxiliary power supply and low-voltage low-current switch (button), which operates a power relay or semicunductor switch, which turns on main power supply.
Old 30th October 2019, 04:48 PM   #14
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yes, but it generates other problems, like power spent continuously from this stand by circuitry. I prefer the classic switch.
Old 30th October 2019, 09:56 PM   #15
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

You could use the switch on the volume control to activate a relay, with DC. No hum.

Another option, if you go for a stepped attenuator, have an extra deck on it at some distance behind the signal switching decks, possibly with a metal screen in between. Or also here, use the relay trick.

Jan
Old 31st October 2019, 01:04 AM   #16
The Peasant is offline The Peasant  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osvaldo de Banfield View Post
Yes, but it generates other problems, like power spent continuously from this stand by circuitry. I prefer the classic switch.
I have built circuits in the past that used a battery to initially turn on the power relay, which was then switched out by one of the relay contacts once the ac power supply came on. This way there is no current draw at all until the power switch is turned on and since the battery supplies only a short pulse of power it lasts a very long time before needing replacement.

Take care,
Doug
Old 31st October 2019, 02:00 AM   #17
The Peasant is offline The Peasant  Canada
diyAudio Member

Here is an example of a circuit to do this.

K1 is a relay with a 9 volt rated coil and needs to have a sufficient contact rating for powering all of the desired power supplies. The LM311 comparator senses the power switch position and activates the relay using the 9 volt battery. The 100uF capacitor across the relay coil holds it on until the AC powered 9 volt power supply can take over. The 9 volt power supply actually supplies about 11 volts, ensuring that it powers the relay and circuit instead of the battery. I have had the batteries in these power supplies last many years before requiring replacement.

Take care,
Doug
Attached Images
File Type: gif powercircuit.gif (5.0 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by The Peasant; 31st October 2019 at 02:08 AM.

Power-switch & Volume-control in one?Hide this!Advertise here!