How to remove and replace coin cell in HAM HT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to save an old Icom IC-2ST handheld HAM transceiver.

There is a coin cell to back up the CMOS on the board. The coin cell is held with a retaining clip on top, and the other end of the retaining clip is soldered onto the board.

https://i.imgur.
zWKZaHi.jpg
/zWKZaHi.jpg

The problem is, the retaining clip seems to be welded onto the coin cell. Because of that, I can't see how best to remove it. If I remove the retaining clip at the PCB end, I doubt I'll be able to get it back on. It's extremely tight in that area, and no room for even the slightest error. Also, the angle of soldering would have to be perfect.

If I remove it at the battery end, how would I break the weld and then...how would I reattach it? Apparently it can be somewhat dangerous to solder weld metal onto a battery.

What do you all suggest?

Last edited:
I am trying to save an old Icom IC-2ST handheld HAM transceiver.

There is a coin cell to back up the CMOS on the board. The coin cell is held with a retaining clip on top, and the other end of the retaining clip is soldered onto the board.

https://i.imgur.
zWKZaHi.jpg
/zWKZaHi.jpg

The problem is, the retaining clip seems to be welded onto the coin cell. Because of that, I can't see how best to remove it. If I remove the retaining clip at the PCB end, I doubt I'll be able to get it back on. It's extremely tight in that area, and no room for even the slightest error. Also, the angle of soldering would have to be perfect.

If I remove it at the battery end, how would I break the weld and then...how would I reattach it. Apparently it can be somewhat dangerous to solder weld metal onto a battery.

What do you all suggest?
Get a CR2032 with pre attached tabs like so. I'm sure they're available from reputable suppliers too.

New 5pcs/lot CR2032 Tabs Solder Foot Soldering Welding Battery Coin Batteries 210mAh 3V Button 2032 Cell Battery Factory
AliExpress

Oh! I had no idea these were common. I thought it was something custom from Icom. Is there somewhere in the US or Canada I can buy these? I don't feel like waiting. Also, I think a 2032 may be a little too thick to fit. I believe it needs to be 2mm high to fit.
Yeah I see it's a 2020 I'm sure you can find those, or a 2016 will fit. 2025 may also fit if there's a little wiggle room.

That's great info. Any suggestions for protecting the components beside the tabs on the PC. I don't want to splurge on kapton tape just for this one repair. We're talking about distances of 1/2 to 1/4mm here-not much room for error. And...my hands are not very steady.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.