Molding an Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FIRST POST ALERT:wave:

Hi all, I'm trying to make a speaker enclosure (full-range portable speaker, fully enclosed) using a small metal container (thin aluminum). In order to prevent the horrible sound of a metal enclosure, I'm trying to figure out the best type of dampening material to line the interior with. (I am in essence attempting to make an enclosure inside an enclosure so the outside still looks metal, but doesn't have all the negative sounds of a metal enclosure)

My goal is to find a material that can:
1. Have great acoustic/dampening qualities while being thin enough (1/4"-ish) so that it won't take up a ton of space inside my enclosure
2. Be poured into the enclosure as if it's a mold (poured/injected in as a liquid or semi-liquid and harden into a great-sounding enclosure.
3. Is relatively easy to work with and a decent bang for my buck (I'd like to make a few of these if it works...)

Does anyone know what type of materials I could use that would best accomplish this? (I was thinking an ABS-type plastic, rubberized material, concrete, foaming insulation, epoxy, silicone, etc???)

Thanks planet10!
I'm guessing you're talking a rubberized-type paint that you can put on thick or use a couple coats?

I was worried about resonances so that's good news about aluminum. I was also worried about sound reflecting back out. However it is a small enclosure so I suppose there wouldn't be much space between a reflected wave and the original (not exactly that knowledgeable as it pertains to acoustic theory).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.