Is too much such a thing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone

I joined a long time ago and can't remember why exactly. lol

Now I'm back and trying my first build and I'm a complete noob but, I learn quickly.

I don't know if this project is too ambitious or if it's even realistic. I'm sure you guys can help me with that.

My project idea is to have a 3 way speaker, portable, bluetooth, more powerful than those Ion block rockers, have some decent bass and under $200 for complete build. I know I'm stretching it a bit thin but, that's the goal.

Current setup is:
Tweeter: Visaton SC5-8 Shielded 1/2" Polycarbonate Tweeter 8 Ohm

Mid: Dayton Audio PC105-4 4" Full-Range Poly Cone Driver
I changed my mid to this Dayton. The spl graph for the goldwood driver was sh*t.

Woofer: GRS 8SW-4 8" Poly Cone Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Amp: Sure Electronics AA-AB35281 3x200W Class D Audio Amplifier Board - T-Amp

Power supply: 48V 12.5A 600W LED Driver Switching Power Supply(SMPS)110/220VAC-DC48V Transformer Monitoring Power Supply Industrial Power Universal Type

That's everything so far. I've yet to figure out the bluetooth and any accessory panel or fm tuner and the likes. I was trying to go with a battery but, to get around 48 volts and 600w+ it would take a lot of 18650s. Like a 14s6p pack. Expensive, even if I sourced the batteries myself, and heavy.

Now my questions to you guys are.... Is this overboard for a first timer? Or is it even feasible? Would you guys have any suggestions or tips in regards to cost saving or the setup or anything about the build?

Your expertise and help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Howdy,

I would say wrong budget, wrong drivers, wrong concept and we did not even cover the crossover expense. 3 way isn't a winner always. A good 2 way with a capable 6.5" midwoofer, lower Fs, high Xmax, capability to cross over at 2.3 kHz should be a good start, and a 1" tweeter to be able to cope with. This means more funds and you are not enthusiastic about that. I would prefer a class AB automotive amp, not some 40 bucks crap, a true 80W/4ohm with active crossovers (low pass, high pass) so you can have an option of powering it with a 12V car battery. I think 1.5 cuft of enclosure should suffice for both of the drivers to develop their full potential.

Last edited:
I've learned quite a bit since posting this thread. I realise now that this project was a failure from concept. Especially with the lack of knowledge.
I decided to slow everything down and start with a simple powered subwoofer for my livingroom.
I appreciate the advice that has been given.
Thank you for the help

I needed to keep the project under $200cad and the portable speaker had to pound and be loud. After researching like crazy I realised it wouldn't be possible without increasing the budget.
After I do my subwoofer I'll start on the portable speaker.
I'm getting closer to coming under budget. My only concern is I have to buy from china to get the "right" prices. The amps I found claimed huge wattage but the rms sometimes was 10% of the claimed max power.
Looking into power supplies I went from toroidal transformers and a rectifier/filter board to a switch mode power supply to finding schematics and a parts list to build my own smps. Just nonsense really.
Then the drivers.....GRS, why are they so cheap but still have decent reviews on PartsExpress? I'm trying to get award winning hifi sound out of it. It's purpose would be camp fires, ball games, garage parties and the likes.
Obviously you can tell I'm still struggling figuring this all out. I'll get there eventually.

I suggest to take under consideration the following setup.

1. Dayton Audio B652; 1 pair of speakers; US$ 30.88
2. Dayton Audio KAB-250v3 2x50; Audio Amplifier Board with Bluetooth 4.0; US$ 43.98

Use the cabinets as such or add a middle part enclosure to carry amp, switches and stuff. There is enough funds left to purchase battery or whatever you feel like is missing.

Lojzek
Thanks for the tip. It never occurred to me to use a couple of book shelf speakers.
One question about power. How loud is 50w? Is that going to blow people away in an outside environment?
I'll need to add a sub for the hard hitting lows.

chris661
Thanks for the subwoofer idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.