Help with sloping baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering building a pair of compact floorstanding speakers which will have the baffles angled at 30 degrees. The angled baffle section will start about half way up the enclosure and will account for about half the depth at the top. I am not sure about the machining angles for the sloping baffle joints though. Where the angled baffle meets the horizontal section on the front, should I rout them both at 15 degrees for a combined slope angle of 30 degrees or just rout the baffle at 30 degrees and the lower panel at 90 degrees. Also not sure about the top of the baffle. Any help with this and any other construction tips would be welcome. The baffle will be fixed and not removable and I will hopefully be using simple glued butt joints thoughout with corner battens for extra strength. The internal dimensions have been established and I will most likely be using 18mm MDF or similar which will be veneered, including the baffle.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
What my woodworker does is angle the front edge of the top at the desired angle, and join everything together.

Once the box is complete, they run a planer along the top edge to get rid of the protruding 'lip'. Needless to say all this is done by hand.

For the lower edge it depends a bit on how close the driver is to the edge, whether you have a supporting brace, and whether the magnet of the lower driver (if closer to the edge) would foul against any braces/shelves/partitions.

Angling both panels allow you a bit of additional clearance for low-slung drivers, but requires two cuts. If you finish with gloss, over time the gap between the panels would show and that would look a little strange too, as it would tilt upwards at 15 degrees when viewed side-on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.