Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Yet another transformer orientation question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2019, 04:12 PM   #11
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsikhefez View Post
Thanks all for the feedback.
I have made some progress and am going with a chassis that will allow me to put the RCA and IEC inlet in the back. So no issues regards those anymore.

Not sure though if there are any preferences with regards to the transformer orientation in Option 1 vs Option 2. FWIW, option 2 seems to be used much more often and looks to be a more "standard" layout

The Magnavox chassis that I rebuilt/upgraded/customized/etc., is dead silent, cranks out excellent sound, been using it for 15+ years now without an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag-glamour01.jpg (67.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg mag-amp2shot.jpg (85.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 15th August 2019, 05:11 PM   #12
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice! That is the same as layout 2 I mention.

The reason why I am asking about this is because I am slightly concerned with the length of the PT secondary wires.
The connections in the PCB for the 5V heater and HV center tap are on the bottom left of the PCB.
With layout 2, my 120V AC wires are short to the rear, but the AC secondaries (HV CT and 5V heater and 6.3VCT are rather long wires to the PCB)
The DC wires from the HV reg are short though.

With layout 1, the 120V AC is slightly longer (which is fine), but the AC secondaries are much shorter and closer to the PCB.

So basically its a compromise between shorter secondary wiring, and transformer orientation...... I simply don't know which is better in this case
Old 15th August 2019, 07:13 PM   #13
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsikhefez View Post
Nice! That is the same as layout 2 I mention.

The reason why I am asking about this is because I am slightly concerned with the length of the PT secondary wires.
The connections in the PCB for the 5V heater and HV center tap are on the bottom left of the PCB.
With layout 2, my 120V AC wires are short to the rear, but the AC secondaries (HV CT and 5V heater and 6.3VCT are rather long wires to the PCB)
The DC wires from the HV reg are short though.

With layout 1, the 120V AC is slightly longer (which is fine), but the AC secondaries are much shorter and closer to the PCB.

So basically its a compromise between shorter secondary wiring, and transformer orientation...... I simply don't know which is better in this case

Let me make it simple for you.....
What you're saying about wiring length is of no issue - all you need do is to splice suitable extensions to the transformer, and shrink tubing over the splices.
It's really that simple.

Any wiring carrying AC should be twisted pairs, dressed close to the chassis, to eliminate hum.
Old 16th August 2019, 04:13 AM   #14
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you for confirming

Yet another transformer orientation questionHide this!Advertise here!