Need Help with DIY Console Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey All,

I am looking to build a decent console stereo system for my garage workspace. I would like to have a clean sound on low, mid and high. I want to listen to the radio, vinyl, and digital files (through phone and/or laptop). I move every few years, so the portability of the console design is appealing to me.

I have an old console that has a working radio/8-track and two speakers, but the turntable looks like someone took a hammer to it. I am not sure if anything can or should be salvaged, but I am willing to try it. I know enough about soldering, woodworking, and electronics to fumble through things, but I am not well veresd in how to go about putting a functioning system together.

Does anyone have any adivce on where to start with this? Should I use the old stuff and add new stuff to it? is there a way to tie my phone/laptop to the old radio/8-track? Do I need to start from scratch? Any advice anyone can provide would be appreciated. Thank you.

67656176_363040197711426_3652344445107437568_n.jpg
68237431_641229956361661_4088925031772454912_n.jpg
67403030_534507647375449_9086846386703433728_n.jpg

I apologize, I am not currently at home and this is all I have avaialalbe at this time. I can get more when I get home tonight.

I see your model has a headphone jack.
"Soundesign consoles from the early 1980s added features such as a headphone jack and clearer sound quality. Many Soundesign consoles from the late 1980s were no longer made with an eight-track player and recorder but still had great sound quality."
More photos here: Vintage SoundDesign Stereo Console and 8-Track Tapes | EBTH

Last edited:
OK. My first thought is that if the record deck is absolutely trashed, similar second hand replacements, e.g. Garrard SP25, are readily available.

My second thought is that it would be nice to retain the 8 Track recorder/radio for its period looks and charm. :cool:

I suggest you remove the deck and photograph the board on which it was mounted. Also remove the 8 Track and photograph the record deck input sockets and any other connections on the rear of the unit.

Am I correct in my understanding that there are just two full range speaker drivers and no tweeters?

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos!

Before proceeding much further, are you absolutely sure that the radio and amplifier sections of the 8 Track recorder/player are working perfectly?

The 8 Track obviously has only one external input (that to which the turntable connects). A switch could be added to enable you to toggle this input between the turntable and a Bluetooth Receiver (via which you could listen to music stored on your cell phone or computer).

How does that sound as a way forward?

P.S. In all probability the record deck has/had a ceramic cartridge and not a magnetic (MM) one. However, best if you could verify this, perhaps by posting a photo of the cartridge.

Thanks for chipping in Tim. :)

Drajel says the turntable looks like someone took a hammer to it and consequently hasn't posted a photo of it. Perhaps now he will, or at least comment on its condition further.

Soundesign certainly used British built BSR decks in its consoles. These early decks have a standard mounting board pattern so a replacement should simply slot in if required.

Awaiting a response from Drajel regarding his favoured course of action.

:up: Galu

Hopefully the electronics are in working order. I assume the phono input is RIAA equalized, not the best way in.
There are R&L mic inputs, to record onto tape. If they work, that might be the best bet. You could parallel a 3.5mm stereo jack with those mono jacks. They are probably expecting a lower voltage than a phone or laptop, so attenuation of some sort may be in order.

Drajel, you said yours is bigger than the one in the photo. Is that just empty furniture size, or are there more features/speakers/etc?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.