Looking for advice and thoughts on my design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

First time poster here,

I'm working on my second pair of transmission line speakers. I'm happy with the layout of the line and all of it's dimensions. What I'm more interested in is making them active. My first pair are passive, which obviously comes with its benefits, but I'd like to make a decent blue tooth ready, active system. I was thinking of having one active speaker with a blue tooth receiver and two channel amplifier built in. I could then have a second, passive speaker receive its signal from the second channel of the amplifier in the active speaker. I'm not sure what negative effects this can have on design as I've not seen it in many existing designs but I assume there's a reason its not commonly used. The main issue I'm having is finding a suitable amplifier. The speakers will be two way transmission lines with passive crossovers, so a two channel amplifier should be enough for this.
I was also wondering what kind of features you think are missing from existing products. Obviously there are different speakers for different applications and I'm happy with the sound of my enclosures, though they're not the best reference monitors. I'm wondering if there's anything you wish you could find on the market but have either had difficulty finding or had to build yourself. Although these are just for my own use, I'd still like to make a product that has some additional value.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

- Hugh

No reason why not; Desktop PC speakers are usually like this.
I guess most folk either make each speaker a stand alone active speaker or keep the speakers passive & the amp separate. Often the point of an active speaker is to use line level crossover & one amp per driver which can be easier to implement as an active speaker (no chance of connecting wrong amp to wrong driver).

I see. My main reason for doing it this way is for ease of blue tooth implementation. I couldn't figure out another way of connecting a single blue tooth source to two separately powered speakers without issues with phasing or outright lag between speakers. I haven't been able to find many plate amplifiers that seem appropriate for this build or that aren't marketed as "sub amps". I'd like to avoid having "sub amp" plastered on the back of my speakers if I can.
Thanks for your input! It's good to know its doable this way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.