Recyled plastics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It rather depends on what you want to do with it. You can't stick it to itself or anything to it to it, screwing or hot-air welding being two methods used, though introducing heat to sheet HDPE causes unreliable distortions, i.e. never the same twice. Finishing is another problem, usually the surface would be flamed to oxidise it or acid-etched to provide a surface which accepts paint or inks. Recycled sheet ABS is a much more malleable material, it can be moulded, heat bent, machined and bonded with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone). ABS is hygroscopic, so superglue works as does epoxy. Before applying serious heat to ABS in order to mould it it needs to be oven dried for at least 24 hours (if you heat it undried it bubbles as the moisture evaporates), or about a week in the airing cupoard as long as there is no damp washing in there as well!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Is kitchen cutting board material, if that helps.
I like it for speaker baffles, or for reinforcing flimsy car doors around the drivers.

Sintra (sp?) is a popular plastic that’s easy to work with, won’t explode on the table saw as readily as other plastics. Is a sign making product available in several thicknesses.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you wanted something 3/4" 19mm thick:

Trex deck boards say they are "made from 95% recycled materials, including reclaimed wood and sawdust as well as recycled plastic from many common household items such as grocery bags, shopping bags, and plastic over wrap."
Trex Select Composite Decking Board - The Home Depot
Decking Products | Materials & Deck Boards | Trex

I imagine that "composite" deck anywhere will be a similar formula.

Deck boards are customarily shy of 1"x6", but "fascia" can be had 0.56 in x 11.375 in x 12 ft (14 mm x 288 mm x 365 cm), big enuff for a small speaker.

Cal
What are you doing with it? - Just looking for a way to use up some of that plastic crap that's killing the planet, instead of cutting down trees for MDF & Ply for speaker cabs. there seem to be several plastics recyclers producing sheet product in Aus
How thick do you want it? 12 - 18mm
How big do the sheets have to be? small enough to fit into my Honda Jazz...(~1500x1800mm)
Seems the problem with most recycled plastics is they don't have a hard exterior surface i.e. prone to scratching, and very dense, i.e. f'in heavy (Built a deck out of a recycled plastic/bamboo composite, certainly built up my puny muscles)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.