Long AC wires or DC wires?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Which is the better option, running AC wires from transformer secondary
to preamp chassis or DC wires from power supply chassis to preamp chassis?

I would run DC, with filtering in both chassis. Still twist the leads, even with DC.
The female chassis connector should be on the power supply, and
the male chassis connector should be on the preamp.

Last edited:
Hi there,

there is a compromise arrangement which I use, which is to house the mains transformer, rectifier and initial smoothing caps in a separate metal box, send the rectified D.C. up an umbillical cable where I have some more smoothing and a dc regulator.

I also use this technique for power amps (with no regulator) as Scottjoplin stated, with loads of capacitance at each end.

Happy soldering

Mike

I found that with a separate PSU phono stage the earthing arrangement in becomes very critical. In my phono stage I had to go through a few variations. For some reason that I haven’t worked out yet the current arrangement has stopped the phono stage picking up every switching transient from the various appliances (boiler, dishwasher, washing machine) in the house.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I am a big believer in external power supplies. I always rectify and filter in the remote box. With regulated I have put the regulator in the remote box and sometimes in the device.

I have done it with tube and solid state phono preamps with good results.

Hi everyone,

I want to build a phono preamp with separate chassis for power supply. My question is: Which is the better option, running AC wires from transformer secondary to preamp chassis or DC wires from power supply chassis to preamp chassis?
Shield wiring practices have an existence in the automotive industry. The learning of telephonic and alternating current power transmission lines are due to the inherently long runs. This occurrence can be due to the chassis to the earth grounding when the plugin is done to the properly wired alternating current outlet.

Question, would the resistance of the jumper cable be sufficient in order to add a second set of filter caps to the second chassis? Or would one need to add a larger resister between them. I ask because currently I have a separate power supply chassis with the smoothing caps located in the amplifier chassis due to size constraints. This appears to be incorrect based upon this discussion. I would be tempted to add a small lower value set to the power supply chassis say 1000uF, with the larger 13000uF left still mounted where they are. If the cable provides sufficient resistance, I would not be lowering my DC rail voltages. I have had it the wrong way round now for 27 years, but if it would be an improvement would add these caps. Thanks.

Regards,
Bill

currently I have a separate supply chassis with the smoothing caps located
in the amplifier chassis due to size constraints.

With significant filtering (half or so) in the supply chassis, the charging pulses
will tend to remain localized there, which is a good thing. A small series resistor
in line between the chassis will assist, and will also help filter some of the ripple.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.