CCRCC caps are quivering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
A little help needed.

I built a little psu to power some 5v regs in my DAC.

It is a CCRCC arrangement point to point at the back of the perf board. The psu schematic is a basic CRC arrangement from Peter Daniels thread for tda1543 DAC but I have used 2 caps either side of the resistor to makeup the value

It works fine but...

When I place a finger on each of the caps I can feel the electricity running through the caps - they are quivering - there is no audible hum or noise directly or through the system but I suspect this quivering is polluting the supply?

What is this a symptom of? some grounding issue? dodgy caps? (they are NOS Elna Starget 1000uf 50v)

Thanks for this basic help

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 134
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Thanks
I’ll make sure I remedy that
It’s exactly the sort of thing my father the electrician would point out ☺️

I don't see a safety electrical ground.
If you earth the ground with a 1k 1W resistor, that will stop any electrical floating, otherwise it is verging on dangerous, unless there is a ground elsewhere in which case do not make a loop.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Yes! Those trafos are quivering also now that you point it out. Is there an electrical remedy for that? Or is this a mechanical issue where I should add more stand offs to make the board stiffer or dampen those vibrations another way?

I very much doubt this, it is much likelier you are feeling vibrations originating in the transformers and being conducted through the board to the caps.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I remember now when I put the trafos on the perf board the pins were a real tight fit. So I will demount them both and drill out the holes to ease the pins a little so their direct contact to the board is not so tight. See if that helps.

On a related topic I’ve been using pieces of old mouse mat to isolate transformers in other equipment- not sure if it is exactly sorbathane or if it is having any positive effect - at least it doesn’t appear to have negative impact

I remember now when I put the trafos on the perf board the pins were a real tight fit. So I will demount them both and drill out the holes to ease the pins a little so their direct contact to the board is not so tight. See if that helps.

On a related topic I’ve been using pieces of old mouse mat to isolate transformers in other equipment- not sure if it is exactly sorbathane or if it is having any positive effect - at least it doesn’t appear to have negative impact
If you can't hear anything (with no music playing :)) I wouldn't bother doing any of that

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.