Segmented horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering how many have attempted segmented horn builds as I am just getting started on mid and highs

My horns are growing looking for advice with things to avoid as I don't see many examples of segmented horns anywhere

Attachments

• IMG_3818.jpg
    IMG_3818.jpg
    985.4 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_3822.jpg
    IMG_3822.jpg
    912.8 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_3820.jpg
    IMG_3820.jpg
    939.1 KB · Views: 332
Looks great. I have no experience with segmented horns, but have built many drums with segmented shells. The sweet spot for thickness is about 3/8", light but still quite strong. I've used lots of different woods, cherry is my favorite. African and Honduran Mahogany also very nice tone woods.

WOW

I'm 3hrs north of you. (Cold Lake)

Are you taking order? I would be interested in a ~200hz round tractrix to cover 300hz-1500. (probably a BC 6PE13 or maybe a PRV 5MR450.)

Marty
Thanks for the wow this is my first attempt at building horns although working with wood is a passionate hobby of mine I don't think I am ready for orders as I have not seen any horns with this type of construction. Segmented turnings can be very beautiful but also unstable and can crack. With no testing these might sound lousy and I'm guessing they will take some fine tuning but if you have a drawing of a horn I would be happy to take a look at the dimensions to see if my tools would even be able to build them

Gee whizz, really excellent work!

If the blanks have even grain and been dried properly, they should not crack. If you oil them with linseed oil, which dries as a semipermeable protective skin, then they should be able to expand and contract evenly when exposed to sudden shifts in temperature and humidity. ToS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.