Building a 19" Audio Rack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to build a 19" rack mount unit to house my audio gear which is predominantly made up of pro gear.

I was considering two bays wide with 16 rails on each side. This way I can still use the top for a turntable or other gear.

What I am concerned about is placing bigger power amps like Brystons and my Yamaha P2150 on the rack rails. The ears look robust but am wondering if the rails will hold that much or if I should add additional support for larger amps and stuff that weighs 40-50lb.

Any tips are appreciated.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If a manufacturer builds a piece of gear with rack-mounting ears then it is implied that the gear can be mounted to the rack from solely those ears. Would I do it? No, but then I dislike rack mount stuff and routinely cut off the ears...

If you’re the one designing the rack, then you would need to make sure the rack rails can take the bending moment, or else add supports.

Last edited:
16U rackmount

Here's a 16U rackmount that I built to house equipment and drawers for my lab. PM me if you'd like the sketchup model, so that you can modify it to your needs.

Attachments

• Lab Rack in-situ.png
    Lab Rack in-situ.png
    632.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Lab Rack Top.png
    Lab Rack Top.png
    676.6 KB · Views: 196
  • SketchupIso.png
    SketchupIso.png
    445.5 KB · Views: 193
Google "rear rack supports" for selections of hardware to support the rear of heavy rack amps.

Agree. Worked with endless numbers of equipment racks. ALL made provisions for additional rear support for heavy equipment.

That said, however I have used heavy rack rails mounted to a very heavy piece of equipment (9U - 12U conventional power supply) as support for other (lighter) equipment mounted above it. The rails were folded "S" channels though, not just angle iron. I mounted the big supply on a furniture dolly to construct a roll around test rack.
Doc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.