Standoff Screw Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Everyone.

So I'm building my first amplifier into a Hammond box. I want to mount the circuit on the bottom of the box but I don't want anything to stick through the box to the bottom. What should I use do to this? Should I drill a small hole, thread it, and then add a standoff screw to it? If that's the way to do it, what tools do I need?

Or maybe drill a hole in the opposite direction and counter sink a flat screw then add the standoff in backwards and nut it on the board?

Should I use Nylon standoffs or are Brass ones fine?

Never done this before and would like to start messing with it this week.

Thanks!
Joey

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here is one feces-rig possibility. Don't ask questions about any two character codenames you might or might not see.

_

Attachments

• Figure1.JPG
    Figure1.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Figure2.JPG
    Figure2.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Figure3.JPG
    Figure3.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Figure4.JPG
    Figure4.JPG
    441.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Figure5.JPG
    Figure5.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 242
Which type of Hammond case?

You could glue in a whole “sub floor” with the standoffs (or everything) mounted to it already.

This is a good idea. Do you think an ABS Sheet could work as a Sub Floor?
FYBREX Set of 4 Black Square ABS Sheets 12"x12" with .08" Thickness, High Breakage Resistance Great Impact and Tensile Strength, Excellent for Interior Appliance Tub Shower Wall with Mounting Screws: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I may be able to even mount it to the sides with an L Bracket like this: Amazon.com: Boeray 10pcs 2 Hole Inside Corner Bracket for 2020 Aluminum Extrusion Profile 20x20 with Slot 6mm 10pcs: Gateway

What is the standard screw size for Standoffs? Is it typically M3?

Hi, Everyone.

So I'm building my first amplifier into a Hammond box. I want to mount the circuit on the bottom of the box but I don't want anything to stick through the box to the bottom. What should I use do to this? Should I drill a small hole, thread it, and then add a standoff screw to it? If that's the way to do it, what tools do I need?

Or maybe drill a hole in the opposite direction and counter sink a flat screw then add the standoff in backwards and nut it on the board?

Should I use Nylon standoffs or are Brass ones fine?

Never done this before and would like to start messing with it this week.

Thanks!
Joey

You need a tap and die set and yes this will work great. Threading holes is great ... "fun". And you are not a true DIYer until you snap off a tap in a hole.

Some standoffs have screws on one side with a threaded hole on the other, some have threaded holes on both sides, some are just hollow. Nylon or brass or other metal will all be fine- if using metal of course watch out for shorting something. Don't use Nylon screws- they do not tighten very much.

I used a whole plate of 1mm (approx) for a false bottom and screwed it to the bottom side rails. If there are no side rails, I would glue standoff blocks to the bottom of the box and thread them to attach the false bottom, also using an earth strap to the main earth point of the case.

I use brass spacers most 3mm and to this I use mushroom allenheads the bolt is longer than the stand off and all materials thickness together then I can attach everything with a single bolt and nut. I use countersunk bolt head just when it should be a smooth surface. The stand off must be threaded completely through otherwise it will not work.

Anders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.