Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

First build: Boombox for a friend.
First build: Boombox for a friend.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2019, 11:56 AM   #1
d3c0y is offline d3c0y
diyAudio Member

Default First build: Boombox for a friend.

No idea what I'm doing, just kinda jumped into it, electronics supplied to build around, this is what I came up with for a quick knock up.

Click the image to open in full size.

speaker cutouts not in model yet, but rest seems about right, not sure if it should be ported or not yet either. just after some basic input/feedback.

Will be built from 18mm MDF.

Amp - Compact 2 x 20WRMS Stereo Amplifier | Jaycar Electronics

Speakers - Response 4 Inch Coax 2 Way Car Speaker | Jaycar Electronics

Battery - 12V 7.2Ah SLA Battery | Jaycar Electronics
**will be an isolation switch and 5/10A fuse on the positive line**

Not really sure what other basics to give since the pic explains alot.

Electronics are set in stone since he already bought it all.

Cheers all in advance for the feedback.

edit: ID of box is L600xH300xW300, OD is 636x336x351.
Can give more measurements if needed.

Last edited by d3c0y; 15th April 2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 15th April 2019, 12:49 PM   #2
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3c0y View Post
not sure if it should be ported or not
Keeping it simple, car speakers suit sealed enclosures best and are fairly forgiving of cabinet volume.

The only other contribution I can make is that the boombox may be rather heavy for portable use if made from 18mm MDF.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:27 PM   #3
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

You may want to experiment with the port, I have found that car speakers sound better closer to open baffle myself.

I agree about the weight though, mdf isnít lightweight/portable!
Old 16th April 2019, 02:10 AM   #4
OffGridKindaGuy is offline OffGridKindaGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

I build portable units on the cheap. I have discovered portable units aren't quite big enough to even try to get the stereo effect so why bother. No sense of trying to combine a stereo source to a mono amp. Stereo amps and stereo sources are plentiful. Keep it simple and use a dual voice coil full range speaker. Now all you only need to worry about is one cone to design an enclosure for, hence saving material and size! 5.25" driver.. 1.5 ft. of area and a simple slot port 1"x4" using 1/2" osb. Lightly stuffed with some fiberglass insulation and you're good to go. Here's one of the drivers I use..

Amazon.com: Bic America M-SR5D Dual Voice Coils in-Ceiling Speakers: BIC AMERICA: Home Audio & Theater

To Add..
This is a great overall full function amp. Good chip and it doesn't destroy the FM receiver. It will drive the above driver very well..

Amazon.com: Kentiger HY-502S 2CH Speaker Bluetooth Hi-Fi Super Bass Power Stereo Amplifier Digital USB/SD Card Player FM Radio: Computers & Accessories

Consider this type of battery. Much lighter and more Ahr. for the size..

Amazon.com: Fashion Outlet Super Power New Dc 12v Portable 9800mah Li-ion Rechargeable Battery Pack: Home Audio & Theater

Just a suggestion for a quick, easy portable unit that will amaze.. HAVE FUN!!!

Last edited by OffGridKindaGuy; 16th April 2019 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Amp Suggestion
Old 16th April 2019, 10:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

For reference:

Quote:
"Electronics are set in stone since he already bought it all."
Old 16th April 2019, 10:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote... ME!

"Just a suggestion for a quick, easy portable unit that will amaze.. HAVE FUN!!!"
Old 16th April 2019, 10:35 AM   #7
d3c0y is offline d3c0y
diyAudio Member

Thank for the feedback guys, yeah it will be heavy, but that's fine and it will likely on occasion be sat on, so the extra bulk probably isn't totally out of line, at least that was my thoughts, but i will have a look at 16mm as the alternative.

As for the electronics, yeah might see if he'll shell out for alternative speakers depending here, noticed the range on those is 90hz-20khz, wondering how that is going to pan out for anything with bass. :x

Any input there by chance?

Thank you in advance!
Old 16th April 2019, 10:38 AM   #8
d3c0y is offline d3c0y
diyAudio Member

Oh and on the linked amp, have seen and heard 1 with a set of decent bookshelf speakers before, it does sound decent for the price.
Old 16th April 2019, 11:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

^ Sorry that you think I disrespected your post.

I meant for reference to subsequent contributors so as to keep the thread on course.

Your suggestion is very valuable to others who wish to design a boombox.
Old 16th April 2019, 11:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

N/P Galu and I agree. Sometimes I get carried away with my "Food for Thought" intentions. My super frugal mindset doesn't help either..

I'm having trouble trying to understand the OP's enclosure design. (Approx. 12"x24"?) I've used 4" coaxial car speakers with good results. They need some room to produce bass and a port to let them breath. Are the square cut outs intended to be internal ports?

First build: Boombox for a friend.Hide this!Advertise here!